ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
My layout is small, 4x9, I currently have 2 separate loops running 2 loco's on DCC power, my layout is simple, just 2 oval loops with switch track connecting them. What i''m wanting to do is make this one line, but I would have add an incline so one part of the track can go under. My main question is will it be possible to add an incline on such a small layout? A 2% incline takes 16ft to get to 4 inches, I don't have any where near that amount of space. I'm not sure a 4% would work but it would probably be my only option. Any other suggestions would be great, thanks.
On such a small layout, you should not consider any other solution (if you MUST do this) than to split the height requirement, or the height separation, between the two loops. IOW, you will want a folded loop design where the track passes over itself, but you will have to make the lower track descend and then climb maybe one full inch, and the upper track will have to do the rest. If you make one track do all the altitude gain and loss, you will have a grade well in excess of 4.5% which will limit your trains to a locomotive and two or three cars....if you are lucky.
Thank you. I was afraid this probably wasn't going to work or be to easy to make it work. I'll have to take a look at it more
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)