ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
It's really shaping up there. Keep at it.
Looks great! I hope your boys grow to love trains as they get older. My little brother loved trains when he was younger but now he just doesn't get why my dad and I build model railroads. Oh well, again your layout looks great!
I agree with the previous posters, looking pretty darn good!
Thanks guys. Its been some time since an update so here they are. 7/11 is up as is the farm house. Engine house is there but no where close to done.
Oh well.
Looking good Chad!! The fourth picture really looks nice

yep, looking good.
oh,and i have that 7-11 structure as well

You've done a really nice job with the desert scenery. And you're giving a graphic demo of what's good about small layouts. Keep the pix coming!
Great work! Everything looks great!
Awesome job. It inspires a newb like me that a simple layout can look amazing with the right details. Thank you.
Awesome job. It inspires a newb like me that a simple layout can look amazing with the right details. Thank you.
It also inspires an old fart like myself to get off his duff & get back to the layout!
Great work Chad!
Thanks Guys. I have had a few comments on the color of the road. Its a dark grey and honestly I am not happy with it. I have painted the road 5 different colors from aged concrete to light gray to black. Kinda tired of it and don't want to paint it again but it does appear blueish. What do you think? The only color I didn't try was "concrete" What colors are you guys using or have used in the past that is not a custom mix. The left pic is a more accurate representation of what it looks like to the eye.
I don't think the paint is the problem, it's the lack of weathering. I haven't found any paint right out of the bottle that gives an accurate representation of a road. If you want ashpahlt, start with a dark black like that in the parking lot. Use artist's chacks in different shades of dark to light gray to weather the road surface, with the travel lines a light gray and the space between the travel lines a darker gray. Unless an asphalt road is brand new, it will be a combination of several shades of gray rather then black. Take some pictures of real roads and then practice with different shades of chalks until it looks right. You can use your finger to spread the chalks and blend things together.
Concrete roads are more work because of expansion joints and more differential weathering. I start with aged concrete as the base color and then use about five different shade of chalk to blend things together. You can use a fine point black Sharpie to simulate the expansion joints and areas that have been repeaires. I like concrete because I think it makes the roads look more interesting. This is an example of a heavily weathered stretch of concrete roadway on my layout.
Its been some time since my last update so here it is. With Christmas here and some time off work I was busy working on more track and finishing some areas.
First bridge I have ever modeled. Nothing fancy but I think it goes nicely.
Great Looking Cement
This is an example of a heavily weathered stretch of concrete roadway on my layout.
This is one beauty of a cement road. You have the expansion joints, the tar fill in's, the cracks, the heaved up road bed, the markings...this is one top notch recreation. Way to go!!!!!
Reid in NC
I Was Up Now You Are
MeanJean
Welcome to the other coast. I'm sure you have noticed that you left the beautiful one. I used to live above you in Spokane, WA, now I'm below in NC. Good looking RXR. Glad to see it made the 3,000 mile journey okay. Keep up the good work.
Reid in NC
Chad, nice progress. I like the built-up abutment for the highway bridge, and the plate girder bridge came out just fine.
Reid, thanks for the compliment. Some guys detail engines, I detail roads.

When I build my main street, I plan on using plaster mixed with gray paint, and will sand it when it dries so it will look like weathered concrete. Great idea from the Worlds Greatest Hobby video.
Hi Chad,
I like the addition of some additional sidings and the extension as it adds a lot more realism to the layout as well as making for more realistic operation.
I'll bet your son is thrilled too as it a great hobby you can both enjoy.
I'll have to say that's quite some detailed modeling!
Concrete roads are more work because of expansion joints and more differential weathering. I start with aged concrete as the base color and then use about five different shade of chalk to blend things together. You can use a fine point black Sharpie to simulate the expansion joints and areas that have been repeaires. I like concrete because I think it makes the roads look more interesting. This is an example of a heavily weathered stretch of concrete roadway on my layout.
Jim, I'm really impressed by the detail in the pic, there a lot of thought that went into not only creating the scene with all the variations involved such as the raised road, expansion joints and repaired areas, the road markings as well as the weathered-traveled-beaten look and the litter detail and the mailbox, it all looks so realistic, Excellent Job!
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)