Neopuron
NooB
So using my free version of AnyRail (track limit on the free version) I put together a little draft of what I will start to build tomorrow. Again the room is limited with space. Basically got a 8x8 room to play with. The room is a little bigger then 8x8, but not by much.
The draft here is close to what I will encounter, if anything I went just a wee bit smaller with the over all size just to keep my overall track plan within a 4x4 area for the loops, with the straight aways and corners being a shelf, ranging from 12" to 15" on the turn. But still keeping it within a overall room of 8x8.
I will plan to put a small switching area up in the top loop area, just didnt have the ability to add more track using the AnyRail software, but its a good base idea.
Ive got a ton of Atlas 9" straight track and 18" radius turn track. Also got about 18 pieces of the 22" radius stuff and 12 pieces of 36" flex track so I think I am good to go. Would like to do the entire layout with flex track so I might go back up to the store and pick some up. In the layout here I used the 18" stuff for all the turns. I think with the flex track I will be able to fudge the turns a little to decrease the radius from 18" to something closer to 22", can also start the turns a little sooner coming off the straight a ways.
Will still give me plenty of track work to detail, and some small scenery areas to work. I will trim up the outsides of the bench to flow with the track. Leaving enough room for cars to pass by and a little detail, also put up a little lip so they dont dive to the floor. I original thought about doing a shelf around the entire room, but dont feel comfy using a removable section for the doorway. Also toyed around with the idea of just using 3 of the walls and investing in a turn table to be able to turn my engines around. I may save them ideas for a future plan/layout once my train room grows. Need to sale the little house first, and then get into the big house
Anyway, I am open to any suggestions or opinions. Also anyone that would need a layout idea like this, there is now something to look at! I spent hours trying to find something like this online, with no luck. Atleast not something small enough...
Thanks
Derek
The draft here is close to what I will encounter, if anything I went just a wee bit smaller with the over all size just to keep my overall track plan within a 4x4 area for the loops, with the straight aways and corners being a shelf, ranging from 12" to 15" on the turn. But still keeping it within a overall room of 8x8.
I will plan to put a small switching area up in the top loop area, just didnt have the ability to add more track using the AnyRail software, but its a good base idea.
Ive got a ton of Atlas 9" straight track and 18" radius turn track. Also got about 18 pieces of the 22" radius stuff and 12 pieces of 36" flex track so I think I am good to go. Would like to do the entire layout with flex track so I might go back up to the store and pick some up. In the layout here I used the 18" stuff for all the turns. I think with the flex track I will be able to fudge the turns a little to decrease the radius from 18" to something closer to 22", can also start the turns a little sooner coming off the straight a ways.
Will still give me plenty of track work to detail, and some small scenery areas to work. I will trim up the outsides of the bench to flow with the track. Leaving enough room for cars to pass by and a little detail, also put up a little lip so they dont dive to the floor. I original thought about doing a shelf around the entire room, but dont feel comfy using a removable section for the doorway. Also toyed around with the idea of just using 3 of the walls and investing in a turn table to be able to turn my engines around. I may save them ideas for a future plan/layout once my train room grows. Need to sale the little house first, and then get into the big house
Anyway, I am open to any suggestions or opinions. Also anyone that would need a layout idea like this, there is now something to look at! I spent hours trying to find something like this online, with no luck. Atleast not something small enough...
Thanks
Derek
Last edited by a moderator:
