layout design

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


It's out of the Kalmbach 101 track plans for model railroaders book, page 32, it's called the Baltimore & Hudson RR.

I'm thinking about mod-ing the one on page 33 which is the same layout but double mains.
 
Looks like about 7.5'x9.5'? Plus the space to walk all the way around the outside, another 1.5' minimum per side? that requires a 10.5'x12.5' room. There are certainly better ways to use that space and not need to duck under a foot's worth of layout into a tiny operator's pit.

If you or your friend would like to share the available space's dimensions and obstructions there is a large group of people here and at other places on the web that would love to help get the best use of the space.
 


Holy cow, that looks like a plate of spaghetti. I thought mine was like that, but no where near like that.

There's absolutely no room for scenery. I got dizzy trying to follow the routes.
 
yeah definitely a busy layout, as for the dimensions, I am not sure but its going inside an old trailer house thats ten feet wide I think.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he's planning to use DCC, that will save him lots of headaches. I thought about doing that one myself in N-scale, along with #29, #33, and #35, but decided this one was too complicated. I like long runs and little switching, but I don't mind complicated track, as some of the designs I'm working on will show.

The thing about this one is I could never figure out the operation compared to some of the variations in the book. It's a little easier looking at the scenery in the book, but there are just too many mainline runs overlapping each other for my tastes. Seems to me it would better fit in an around-the-wall-space, maybe with an island.

BTW, it's a 7x10 layout for a 9x12 space. If he buys the book, he might find some variations more to his liking.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, I'm the friend that Ben was talking about. I got the book, and my space is 11 feet wide and 16 feet long. The plan is number 57 on page 32 of "101 Track Plans," and calls for a platform of 7 by 10 feet. I hope to stretch it a little by going 7 by 12 or 13 feet. My width is limited, but I can knock out a wall and get another ten feet on top of the 16 feet I have. I'm using sectional and flex track, customline #6 turnouts, (some manual and some undertable) and DCC Super Empire Builder starter set. Thanks to all for your comments; ideas, ANYONE??
 
OK, first, let's start off with the needed information from you.

What are the exact dimensions of the space available? It's best to post a pic, using Atlas RTS or XtraCad, or whatever trackplan software. (include windows, doorways, etc.)

What Scale?
What Era?
What type of layout, Continuous running or point-to-point, or both.
What railroad are you trying to model? or is it fictitious?
What are your givens and druthers. Things you want, and things you must have.
ie. bridges, mountains, tunnels, big rail yard, etc.
 
Jim,

Another question(s) to ask is....Why do you like this layout? What specific elements within this layout appeal to you that made you choose it over other alternatives?

Perhaps members can incorporate those elements into a design that is a better use of available space.
 


Jim G,

I don't know if you are actually looking for any help, but here's something to think about. While I am forced to design (or select) a table layout due to space limitations, if I had an 11x16 (or 11x26) space with no obstructions, I'd be looking for ways to unwrap your plan or design something similar to make better use of the space you have.

Like Motley said, we don't know where any doors and windows are, but that space seems better suited for an around-the-wall type layout with an island or 2 vs a table where you stand in that small space in the middle to operate. I'm a big fan of that book, but the layouts are from a time when design emphasis was on filling up the space to permit longer runs, so-called "old style" design theory. However, all the designs can be adapted for more "modern" benchwork theory emphasising islands, etc., even in smaller space vs operating "stations" inside the layout.

EDIT: I forgot to add that if you still want to build plan #57, I'm with you 100%. I'm going against most advice and building a looping layout I designed. However, since I have a lot of time before I start construction, I am going to explore alternatives.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for responding! The scale is HO, era is modern (I might have one steam engine on display) and the reason I like this particular layout is because I can keep one train running on the main line--lines-- and do my switching in the yard.

The doorway to the space is offset to one side and doesn't infringe on the layout area, and the space is completely open wall to wall. As far as "must haves", I think the layout as is will serve my purposes very well. It has a tunnel and other features, and I can always go off the top left hand corner with a switch and build a storage yard for unused rolling stock. I plan to use a hot glue gun for the roadbed and foam, and a nail or two in other places.

It is a fictitious railroad also.....thanks again, Jim G
 
the reason I like this particular layout is because I can keep one train running on the main line--lines-- and do my switching in the yard.

It has a tunnel ....

Golly Jim,

There are a whole bunch of track plans that could incorporate those features.

It sounds like you may have limited your research to that one book, deciding to pick the best one out of the limited selection that would fit your space.

That layout may be just fine for you, (although I hate the whack-a-mole like access hole) but be sure to research plenty of ideas first.

Google is your friend...
 
In response to the above, I have to tell you I've been online and in the library for six months....in my original post, I mentioned expanding it to 7 by 12 or 13. I didn't like the access hole either, and I'd planned to make it a lake or prairie. My current layout is 6 by 16 with two mains and a yard, but it has no elevations or other interesting features. I like the "around the room" idea with the operator's console in the middle, and I'm sure I can find better scenery than originally planned. I've not decided yet, 100%, and I'm very glad I came here and shared my plans. I have much to consider before finalizing anything!!! The weather has to cooperate too; I'm not going out in below zero weather to run my trains.

On a DCC note---is it better to isolate each power district totally, or just break the hot rail into sections? I have the DCC system I'm going to use in hand, perhaps it's time I read the manual that came with it...:) I appreciate you all and will visit daily--there is a wealth of information here!!!

Thanks, Jim
 
Being a fan of busyness, if a busy layout is the goal I think this is actually very well laid out and still kind of simple. I see it as two ovals, one within the other, with two reverse loops, one from outside to inside and the other way from inside to outside. It has crossovers for easy access between inner and outer ovals, and the yard is independent off the inner loop. I like it.

You can actually run two trains around automatically and still have full access to yard work, effectively running three trains at once.

BTW, I would wire it for DC for some real action. :D
 
I have found that only 24" on each side of the layout won't work---my belly will get in the way...:) Ben spotted another one, #77 in the aforementioned book, that is 5' by 18'. Lots of busy stuff, needs four reversing switches, double mains, a good-sized yard, elevations, a roundhouse and a fair amount of scenery. Shark Nose, I have DCC, what is the advantage in wiring it with DC?

I also might alter my original plan into an "L" shape. the wife says she doesn't need access through the area, so one leg of the L can be a full 11' long and maybe 4 feet wide. The other leg will probably be about the same.

I'm still looking at many plans, trying to find one that really catches my eye; I need to learn a whole bunch about DCC too! My hope is to do what Shark Nose said--run two trains and switch at the same time.

Thanks for all your input!! Jim G
 
Shark Nose, I have DCC, what is the advantage in wiring it with DC?

Hi Jim, I wouldn't really say there is any advantage to DC, it's just that it draws me partially because it is way more of a challenge (Probably more than it needs to be; you see I am fond of DC for a few reasons: I learned on it and tend to gravitate toward familiarity, I tend to be way too high strung and thrill seeking when I have my fun :rolleyes:, and I already have control panels and equipment in storage that were specially designed many years ago for a large DC layout). You WILL be a LOT busier running multiple trains on the same rail, especially with reverse loops. Not to mention the wiring challenges! :eek: (I tend to lean toward things that are more complex than necessary as well, double :rolleyes::rolleyes:) I don't know if it will be right for you- unless you particularly want a lot of action.

My hope is to do what Shark Nose said--run two trains and switch at the same time.

Jim, I am curious to see this other trackplan and hope you will post it.
 
I kinda like it. I really like the left side where you have crossovers and a cross track. Nice dense intricate section. I had a plan with similar 'lots of track' mentality. I've found that finding space for buildings and scenery is challenging. Guess it really depends on what you want to do with your layout. I will probably give up some track in order to have more scenery and building space.
Doug
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top