Layout Access

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I been watching videos of many of the larger, well-known HO layouts like those of George Sellious, Howard Zane and Bob Lawson, and I wonder how the layouts were constructed to enable the builder to access areas for maintenance, new constuction and tasks like dusting. Have any of the forum members visited these layouts or other large layouts and could perhaps add a little in-sight as to how access is accomplished?

What techniques have you used on your layouts for access?

Thank you for your information.

Greg
 
Mine and other layouts I've operated or worked on were around the room shelf layouts so the reach was never more than 24". I do need a step stool though on occasion.
 
I had the pleasure of visiting george sellious layout 12years ago when it was just the downtown area, if you look at a track plan or pics you can see the track is fairly close to the edge so maintenance didnt seam to be a problem, even though the scene was very deep. As for dusting we heard george say they used a small vacuum, it was very free of dust from what i remember.

Hope this helps

cheers ironman
 


Liftout hatches, hollow frame mountains that allow one to slide under and at least kneel to reach a problem, or stools of some kind on which the operator can climb to reach deeper into the layout. Probably the best idea is bullet-proof track in the inaccessible areas, track really well laid, fed, and tested with all the consists in reverse and forward directions at speed.
 
When I built my 3'X20 ' N-Scale layout, I was having the same concern so I put full extention drawer sliders on the frame. I had some that would extent to a full 30". Now the backdrop is attached to the wall and the whole layout slides out to 30 ". Now all I have to do is crawl under it and come up the back side to do any cleaning ect.
Dean
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top