Laying track..........

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hello there,


I'm getting ready to build a layout on a custom made 4'4"x6" table. It will be a simple oval with one spur (maybe two in future) and I will be using Atlas Code 83 sectional track (NS).

The base is Styrofoam.

Since the track I'm using is sectional track with no roadbed, would it be alright to fit/lay the track directly to the form and ballasting it instead of laying cork roadbed then the track on it?


Thanks in advance!


Diesel-Electric.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
4'4"x6' is a pretty small table for HO scale.

You would probably be better off using some type of roadbed...I prefer the cork over foam roadbed myself. Laying the track directly on the foam base might lead to a noisy layout, as the foam can act like a sounding board.

Rotor
 
Hello Rotorranch,


4'4"x6' is a pretty small table for HO scale

Yep it sure is! But I do have a space problem, I have about 4'6"x8' to work with , with the layout being against a wall on one side. It is 6' long as to leave little space on either side to squeeze into for maintenance and taking care of derailments.

It would have been 4'x6', but I had to add 4 inches more to accommodate 24" radius curves.


Thanks for the reply Rotorranch!


Diesel-Electric.
 


I wouldn't be so worried about sound as structural damage if you accidentally put any weight on the track. I've heard bad things about track on foam...I'd consider a layer of plywood, hardboard, homasote, ANYTHING solid!
 
I would put a layer of 1/2" or 3/4" foam on top of your benchwork and then add cork roadbed on top of the foam, with your track on top of the cork roadbed. Because with the foam you can do scenery and stuff like that.
 
Thanks guys! I should mention that that the Styrofoam is placed on top solid wood.

Anyhow, I'll take your advice and lay cork roadbed and then lay the track on it!


Thanks again:)!


Diesel-Electric
 
Your welcome! And may I ask how you are going to attach the track to the roadbed? I would either glue it down or use track spikes or nails, which can be found at your LHS.
 
Well, I was thinking of gluing it down and ballasting it by spraying water and putting drops of 1:1 mixture of glue and water on the ballast!:o


Diesel-Electric
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top