Laying Peco code 55 track using caulk: problems

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


videobruce

Tower Operator
First time for both. Peco track & using clear acrylic caulk as an adhesive. Used the caulk a hundred times, but never for this.

Problems are;
1. The rail joiners are smaller than Atlas (which I had little trouble with 15 years ago). They look better, but are hard to slide on after the rail has been cut which is ok for contact, but what happens is due to the size and design of the joiner, there isn't enough 'lip' on each end of the joiner to act as a guide for the heel of the rail to slide into the slot unlike Atlas. This is especially true with turnouts.

2. The other problem is the 'mess' from the caulk that was spread over the roadbed. Before I just used nails to hold the track in place. No mess. Now, you apply the caulk first, after your sure the track fits, then place the track, then try to get the joiners to line up (problem #1). In doing so, you wind up getting caulk all over your hands including the rail itself.

I thought about placing the track, no caulk, lining it up, then with a putty knife lift up the track and apply the caulk, somehow spreading the caulk out with a 2nd blade.
 
The trick is to spread the caulk really thin, almost transparent thin on the roadbed, then lay the track, and put weights on the track every foot or so to hold it down. I usually leave the weights on the track overnight.
 
That was what I was trying to do as much as possible. Not always successful though. Either too thin or too thick. I also was concerned about if it is too thin, it will start setting up to quickly. I need time to battle with those rail joiners which is becoming a huge problem.

Elsewhere it was suggested using drops of CA after the track is placed.
 


Only use it if you are planning on keeping the track permanently in one spot.
I am, but I would like the ability to move/remove it without excessive damage that happened to my 1st layout when I used nails (which I'll never do again).
 
Sounds like maybe the way to go might be to get all the rail joiners on and track laid in place.....then lift and put dabs of clear caulk under each section. Clear silicone caulk remains flexible. Small amounts hold but can be pulled up later if need be. But what seems good in theory....does not always pan out.
 
That seems to be the plan.
I wish others have had experience with using CA though. Drop, drops of that between the ties w/o lifting sounded better.
 
CA might work okay. Just have to be super careful with the amount. I always get a bunch of q-tip type cotton swabs ready before using CA on anything to mop up any excess. It's not very forgiving once too much gets on there.
 
I know this a late answer but I used a medium temp glue gun , works great. I use it on the ends of the ties after the track is pinned in place where i want it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top