Latest loco on my rails

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Ronzzr11

Member
I got this Kato Dash 9, from the local train fair,a couple of weeks ago.It makes a nice pairing with my Athearn SD70.

Ron
 

Attachments

  • santa fe 606.jpg
    santa fe 606.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 344


When I was a kid growing up next to the Santa Fe mainline I really liked the Warbonnet paint on the motorized boxcars. Seriously, very nice!
 
Great looking locomotive Ron!

Years ago before I got involved or should say became obsessed with Lionel I always had a HO train under my Christmas tree. Either a Tyco Spirit of 76 or a Life-Like Chessie/B&O. One year both of my locomotives went down on Christmas eve and the only replacement I could find late in the day was a Santa Fe GP 20 at Toys r Us, I only used it one Christmas. Last year I asked my oldest daughter if she remembered those HO trains and she said "I remember a red and silver one with big red letters" Of about 20 years of HO trains she remembers the only one I used once! I guess that war bonnet is a very distinctive and memorable paint scheme.
 
Its one of the great things about modelling modern American railroads, that you can run almost anything on a layout and still be prototypical !!!.
I,ve always liked the warbonnet scheme,so when I lifted the lid on the Kato box,and saw how good it looked, I knew it was coming home with me.

Ron
 
If you want to see a sort of Warbonnet scheme of the Santa Fe, with orange and green of the Great Northern, take a look at some (not all) of the BNSF units.
 
I agree with the others, great looking locos. I love the Warbonnet paint, I have four of them. The Atlas Dash 8s.

IMG_0710.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Just a quick HI to Ronzzr11 - I'm a Brit too - used to live in Ormskirk not far from you. I live in the U.S.A. now and have just taken up "playing with trains" as my wife calls it.
 
Night train - it's funny you should say that - she was here by me at the computer and read the post - I don't think she was convinced - she just rolled her eyes and laughed.
 
I can't speak for you guys, but I am defiantly playing with my trains. I am having way to much fun to call it anything else!
 
My Wife thinks i'm a big kid but I tell her its better than sitting in front of the TV complaining that there's nothing worth watching.

People can say what they like and its like water off a ducks back.
 
I live alone with my cats, I don't have to say anything! Warbonnet, I got to stand 10 feet (off the ballast) and watch the warbonnet "F" units roar by, and the GP 7 and Nines. Occasionally before 1960 I would see 2-10-2's sometimes occasionally 2-8-2's with diesels behind them. Not very often though. Fantastic stuff. I started young. I remember the Blue Ft, F3's and the Warbonnet F7's on passenger trains. Sometimes there would be 4 sections of the Superchief, every 15 minutes another section would roar by.

Our house was only about 25 feet off the ballast. Quite a sight. 25 years later I'd stop in Irwindale and watch a pair of beautiful blue and yellow GP-30's work the Miller Brewery yard, great stuff really handsome locomotives. Now that mainline is 30 miles to the East in a whole different state. Sometimes I see them when I drive.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top