Lake Wobegon Mills-Powdermilk Biscuits Box Car

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I recently bought this old 40ft. wooden box car/reefer at a buy&sell meet,simply because it was an attractively painted old type with arch bar trucks to suit my other "oldies".
Whilst running it in a freight consist at my A M R A Queensland Club yesterday,a friend recognised it,and told me the story of Lake Wobegon.Later Google told me more.
However now I would like to know who were the makers of it,and is it a part of something larger ?
Hope the Forum can help here
 

Attachments

  • 2008_0428TrainsEBay0001.jpg
    2008_0428TrainsEBay0001.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 424
GOD it could be anybody , does it have any name on the bottom?? nice car by the way . i love the 40 footers

wait i remember now yes there is a show on pbs station thats called lake wobegon lol funny show i used to listen to it on sat nites lol if you ever wanna sell it let me know
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Black 28,Thanks for your message,this is my first post and photos.At 82 I am not up with all the workings of this wonderful medium. There is no maker's name underneath the car. At least I can see it is not a Tyco. It has two centre spine girders between the trucks.
 


GOD it could be anybody , does it have any name on the bottom?? nice car by the way . i love the 40 footers

wait i remember now yes there is a show on pbs station thats called lake wobegon lol funny show i used to listen to it on sat nites lol if you ever wanna sell it let me know

The show is called "A Prairie Home Companion". Its been a staple of Saturday night APR/NPR radio for many, many years. I first came across it in the 1980's while still living in Mobile. I haven't listened to it much nowadays because our local NPR station has gone to the dogs, but thinking about it brings back memories of Garrison Keiller saying, "That's the news from Lake Woebegone, Where the women are strong, the men good looking and the children are well behaved".
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The show is called "A Prairie Home Companion". Its been a staple of Saturday night APR/NPR radio for many, many years. I first came across it in the 1980's while still living in Mobile. I haven't listened to it much nowadays because our local NPR station has gone to the dogs, but thinking about it brings back memories of Garrison Keiller saying, "That's the news from Lake Woebegone, Where the women are strong, the men good looking and the children are well behaved".
yep that it lol :p i never knew they made boxcars , i would love to have one :D
 
More information after forensic examination.
1.Roof and separate Ribs are Brass
2.Frame is Metal
3.Floor is Wood
4.Grab Irons &Steps are Wire like Roundhouse Kits
5.Wheels are Metal on Plastic Axles
6. Not proven,but the body sides and ends feel like wood ?
Does this info narrow it down to find the maker ?
 
oh yeah my parents listened to faithfully for many years when we lived in Wisconsin when I was a boy...I would listen as well very funny stuff

Nice find by the way....
 
The show is called "A Prairie Home Companion". Its been a staple of Saturday night APR/NPR radio for many, many years. I first came across it in the 1980's while still living in Mobile. I haven't listened to it much nowadays because our local NPR station has gone to the dogs, but thinking about it brings back memories of Garrison Keiller saying, "That's the news from Lake Woebegone, Where the women are strong, the men good looking and the children are well behaved".
I haven't listened to "A Prairie Home Companion" for ages!

The closing words of Garrison Keillor's monologue are actually:
"Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

That boxcar is a beauty. I would be proud to run one on my layout!

- Jeff
 
I recently bought this old 40ft.
Whilst running it in a freight consist at my A M R A Queensland Club yesterday

Well, well, well. Someone else from AMRA Qld has found his way on here (but no introduction) so I'll have to do some educated? guessing. (wish I'd been there tuesday, then I wouldn't have to haha).

Welcome to the best forum in the business, and as you can see already, lots of friendly people.
 
I haven't listened to "A Prairie Home Companion" for ages!

The closing words of Garrison Keillor's monologue are actually:
"Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

That boxcar is a beauty. I would be proud to run one on my layout!

- Jeff

Well Jeff, what can you expect from a non-Norwegian, non-bachelor, non-farmer, suffering from 1/2-heimers!;):p I need to get back to the Chatterbox Cafe and get reacquainted with the folks there, then stop at the Pretty Good Grocery and get the makings of a rhubarb pie.

I don't think I've listened to PHC for 3-4 years. Our NPR station here went from a 24hr classical music station to all talk. I hate talk radio, whether its those stupid shock jocks on AM to the self proclaimed political know-it-alls on FM.

Thanks for the correction.:)
 


/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////
- Jeff
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a car lettered like that. Someone was selling the decals sets about 20 years ago, I don't remember who. I haven't seen the decals for sale since I purchased mine a couple decades ago.

Jim
 
Years ago, when the original "Dallas" series was on, some manufacturer came out with an HO tank car labelled "Ewing Oil"! Yes, it's professionally done, not someone's home decal job.
 
If the OP is the person I think it is, he's just the sort to winkle out an unusualy marked car like this.
 
I have a car lettered like that. Someone was selling the decals sets about 20 years ago, I don't remember who. I haven't seen the decals for sale since I purchased mine a couple decades ago.

Jim
Your answer is the closest I have got to finding the origin of the old box car,with you having bought the Decals 20 years ago,and actually having a car with the same on it. Could you put a photo of yours up,or throw a bit more light on where the Decals came from please ? .I am 82,and a bit slow at navigating this large Forum,but hope to improve. Thanks for your input.
 
I have decided to sell the old Lake Wobegon Biscuit Box Car on E bay.There is no real interest in it here. My friend who first recognised it,and told me the story also has loaned me the P H C movie made about 2006.I actually like the old car very much,because my nature is driven by historical and artistic events,but it should go to where it is most appreciated in our great hobby. Naturally it is more valuable than just another old 40 footer,and any profit I make,will help an 83 year old pensioner buy more ordinary old 40 footers.I wish to thank all members for their reviews,and information given to me on the Lake Wobegon Story.
 
I recently bought this old 40ft. wooden box car/reefer ... now I would like to know who were the makers of it,and is it a part of something larger ?
My first guess was a Varney, Ulrich, or Red Ball, but then I saw the post that said the sides were metal. Most of those three I thought of usually had wooden sides. That takes me to Globe (like tin sides) and Ambroid (pot metal sides).

My best suggestion would be to go to HO Seekers and just start browsing around. I looked around for about 15 minutes and didn't see it jump of the page at me.
http://www.hoseeker.net

P.S. Re-reading. I now see I misread the post about what the car was made of. With a metal frame and wooden sides it could be any of the first three I posted (and probably about 10 others as well). HO Seeker is still a good place to start.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Your answer is the closest I have got to finding the origin of the old box car,with you having bought the Decals 20 years ago,and actually having a car with the same on it. Could you put a photo of yours up,or throw a bit more light on where the Decals came from please ? .I am 82,and a bit slow at navigating this large Forum,but hope to improve. Thanks for your input.

I used an Athearn car for my model. like I said, I purchased the decals well over 20 years ago and I have no idea where I purchased them from. I think it was from a small ad placed in MR or RMC magazine at the time. I wish I had another set so I could try to do a better model. This one shows it's age and my poor modeling of two decades ago. I'd like to think I could do a little better job these days;-)

I was never a huge Lake Wobegon fan, but my Dad loved the show, so this car will always have a home on my layout.

Jim
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top