kz9's HO Scale Empire.....

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


WHOA! I missed this thread somehow, man you have got a nice layout going there!! Looking forward to seeing more of the Steel Mill, the Coke Oven and Electric Furnace you have done so far look great!
 
Rolling mill is next, then blower, then Blast.

Actually in the market for another Rolling mill since I will be loading pipe, structural, coil steel. All that in one wont look right. Also I would have to scratch build new machines since the reversing mill does coils and not pipe.
 
Rolling mill is next, then blower, then Blast.

Actually in the market for another Rolling mill since I will be loading pipe, structural, coil steel. All that in one wont look right. Also I would have to scratch build new machines since the reversing mill does coils and not pipe.

Sounds like your describing a finishing mill. Most Steel Plants have several different massive buildings that are finishing mills that form the slabs and coils of steel from the Rolling Mill into pipe, structural parts.... The Old Rolling Mill kits would be perfect for a Finishing Mill, but Walthes doesn't make them anymore... lol. The new Rolling Mill could also work
 


Finished up the Hulett. Had one broken stairway handrail so now I have to find some styrene to make a new one. Other then that it was a very fun kit to build. Now it needs some weathering! But thats later.

IMG_3518.jpg


IMG_3519.jpg


IMG_3520.jpg



Now on to the Blower house!
 
Ok so made a little progress this week, but also had to go backwards a bit. lol

Started the Blower house. Pretty easy, should be done on Tuesday as I just need to add stairs and stacks.

IMG_3526.jpg


Also between letting the paint dry on the blower house parts I have been running some trains and testing the track. I have no problems with any of my rolling stock up to 82' auto-racks and big power on my outside mainline other then a few points that needed to be filed a bit.

BUT

When it comes to the branch lines by where my cement and Engine yard is I have some big problems. All my cement hoppers, 60' box and flats, and big power have no problems which is good cause this is what this branch should only see. Then I thought well I should test some of my longer rolling stock. 82' auto racks worked, but just! Then I got out my container cars and Maxi's. The single containers are iffy just like the auto racks, but the Maxi's derailed all over the place. lol

So I had to rip up some curves and remove/relocate some crossovers, and move my program track.

Now I am going to have 22'' on the ''mainline'' of the branch and not going to worry about the 18'' on the rest of the table as only small hoppers and switchers will be using that.

So with that being said that has opened up a bit of realestate. I am thinking of getting the Walther's Diesel shop thats on sale right now, and having it as the back shop for major repairs. Might make it a bit congested?

The cardboard is the footprint of the shop.

IMG_3523.jpg


IMG_3521.jpg


IMG_3522.jpg


One of the crossover's that needs to be relocated so I can have 22'' come around the machine shop. My program track is just around the curve which will have to be relocated to the other side of the tracks by the turntable.

IMG_3524.jpg


IMG_3479.jpg


Middle track is the branch-main. Never noticed the kink untill the maxi's went thru. Will have to move back the turnout to smooth out the curve.

IMG_3525.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice looking work indeed, Kellan. I'd personally vote against adding the diesel house behind the roundhouse. You have a layout which is already pretty trackage intensive, leaving you very little room for scenery. Employees need a place to park, you need access roads for service and delivery vehicles, and the backs of roundhouses are natural place for railroady junk to accumulate. All of this adds interest to your layout, especially non-model railroaders, who might not appreciate all your carefully laid track, but will be amused by little mini-scenes of life you create around the layout. Keep this in mind as part of your overall layout planning.
 
Ya I here you on those points. I did order it just incase. I will build it and see if its oo much behind the roundhouse, cause I can also but it on the other side of the main where the 2 Y tracks are.

I'll have to wait and see. Talks with the wife have been going good in letting me build a 30'' shelf around the future rec room. This would tie into the 2nd level of my layout and add another 35' ish of layout in a U shape with a removable leaf going across the future entrance and connecting back to the layout for continuous operation.

Only one thing is that this would HAVE to be all farm related. (she's a farm girl). So I was thinking the new country stuff walthers is relaseing along with ADM Grain mill and maybe Ethonal.

I was able to open talks with her cause I said that I could custom build the entainment center and lots of shelfs and storage for kids toys, and a bookshelf for her under the layout along the wall. She said Ok, but the that part of the layout needs to be farm themed.
 
A farm scene is a great idea. That's what I'm doing with my new layout. I'll have the Ethanol plant (loading sheds, corn storage silos, processing center, loading tanks, energy center), a cornfield, and a farmhouse scene, and creek. And I also have the brand new cornfield backdrop newly installed.

This is the farmhouse I'm getting: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/152-178
 


Ok so I finished up the rework today and started to run trains again. The new track work runs great! Also made a new area for the sanding towers.

IMG_3533.jpg


Was able to run this train all around the tracks today.

IMG_3534.jpg


IMG_3532.jpg



Only one problem I think I have is under wieght cars. I have to look a the NMRA specs on wieght. One of the boxcars in the middle keeps derailing, not in the same spots, just out of the blue.

Also I was wondering why the end cars keep derailing? Wieght? I change the order around and whatever cars are in the back, they seem to hop off?

Need to figure this out.....
 
Its a bascule bridge. If you google pictures of Bascule bridges. You will find several prototype photos of this weight. Its a concrete counterweight for the movement of the bridge.

The most popular bascule bridge(s) you will certainly find on google will likely be those in Chicago.
 
Holy crap you have been busy for the short time you have been in the hobby and making good progress on your layout.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top