Kriegsloks Rail Adventures

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Continuing in Greenville engine house:
IMG_20260214_145856544.jpg
IMG_20260214_151750932_HDR.jpg
IMG_20260214_151805335_HDR.jpg
IMG_20260214_151922731.jpg
IMG_20260214_151928485.jpg

From there it was a short drive to a little railroad museum. The place is easy to find on Main Street just east of downtown.
IMG_20260214_153531157_HDR.jpg

Bessemer and Lake Erie is of course known for heavy mineral traffic, hauling coal north towards Lake Erie ports and bringing iron ore from the ports into Pittsburgh industrial region for steel making. Iron ore jenny on display:
IMG_20260214_153537319_HDR.jpg
IMG_20260214_153558829_HDR.jpg

Not sure why a Union Pacific caboose is on display here, picture of things to come? And here is the object of my interest:
IMG_20260214_154024472_HDR.jpg

I don't actually know much about this locomotive except what i wrote in my previous post, so this caption will have to do:
IMG_20260214_153425099.jpg

Tbc...
 
Continuing in Greenville engine house:View attachment 257948View attachment 257949View attachment 257956View attachment 257947View attachment 257952
From there it was a short drive to a little railroad museum. The place is easy to find on Main Street just east of downtown.View attachment 257954
Bessemer and Lake Erie is of course known for heavy mineral traffic, hauling coal north towards Lake Erie ports and bringing iron ore from the ports into Pittsburgh industrial region for steel making. Iron ore jenny on display:View attachment 257955View attachment 257950
Not sure why a Union Pacific caboose is on display here, picture of things to come? And here is the object of my interest:View attachment 257951
I don't actually know much about this locomotive except what i wrote in my previous post, so this caption will have to do:View attachment 257957
Tbc...
Yeah those strings of ore cars got really heavy!
 
Continuing in Greenville engine house:View attachment 257948View attachment 257949View attachment 257956View attachment 257947View attachment 257952
From there it was a short drive to a little railroad museum. The place is easy to find on Main Street just east of downtown.View attachment 257954
Bessemer and Lake Erie is of course known for heavy mineral traffic, hauling coal north towards Lake Erie ports and bringing iron ore from the ports into Pittsburgh industrial region for steel making. Iron ore jenny on display:View attachment 257955View attachment 257950
Not sure why a Union Pacific caboose is on display here, picture of things to come? And here is the object of my interest:View attachment 257951
I don't actually know much about this locomotive except what i wrote in my previous post, so this caption will have to do:View attachment 257957
Tbc...
I believe that is first time I have ever seen an 0-10-2 loco. I wonder if this loco was ever modeled in brass? I'm guessing never modeled in plastic. Anybody know for sure?

John
 


I believe that is first time I have ever seen an 0-10-2 loco. I wonder if this loco was ever modeled in brass? I'm guessing never modeled in plastic. Anybody know for sure?

John
I'm pretty sure there was no plastic model of it, unless someone did a one off for himself. Brass i'm not sure, would have to search for information on that.
 
Before we dive further into the details of the unique 0-10-2 switch engine, there was another type of monster roaming the rails of Bessemer and Lake Erie; 2-10-4 "Texas" type, H-1a to H-1g class. An article about them was printed in October 1961 issue of "Model Railroader". Article contains plans in 1:87 scale (H0);
IMG_20260219_190524661.jpg

One of these bruttes was actually saved, and after many hard dealings with authorities in the area, it was carried to Ohio to private preservation group, where it's being cosmetically restored. The locomotives were actually based on M-4 engines built in 1927 for CB&Q.
IMG_20260219_190707172.jpg
IMG_20260219_190714760.jpg
IMG_20260219_190634051.jpg
IMG_20260219_190638985.jpg

Ok back to the Union 0-10-2. I will post all my pictures here just in case anyone interested in modeling this monster wants a walk-around document. We'll start with this weird looking front tender truck:
IMG_20260214_153716725_HDR.jpg

This was actually a Franklin booster, same kind which i bought at a train show to take parts off of it for my project. Apparently the steam engine with side rods was taken off of it at one point and replaced with standard wheels and bearings.
IMG_20260214_153627296.jpg
IMG_20260214_153650469_HDR.jpg
IMG_20260214_153658239.jpg
IMG_20260214_153640345_HDR.jpg

That long overhang was where the actual steam engine was sitting.
 
I believe that is first time I have ever seen an 0-10-2 loco. I wonder if this loco was ever modeled in brass? I'm guessing never modeled in plastic. Anybody know for sure?

John
I don't know of any plastic versions, but I just looked it up and PFM did two runs of the 0-10-2, one in 1965 and the other in 1967. Here's a picture of one from BrassTrains.
D M & IR0-10-2.png
 


A few more pictures of the Bessemer 0-10-2:
IMG_20260214_154719350_HDR.jpg
IMG_20260214_154734753_HDR.jpg
IMG_20260214_154522097_HDR.jpg
IMG_20260214_154436902.jpg
IMG_20260214_154500522.jpg
IMG_20260214_154810358_HDR.jpg
IMG_20260214_154815661_HDR.jpg
IMG_20260214_154824406_HDR.jpg

After leaving Greenville, i traveled down towards New Castle, Pa. Taking the bypass US422 south of town, I noticed a tower down to the right side. First exit and i found it:
IMG_20260214_165004822.jpg
IMG_20260214_165031797.jpg

The tower is in very good condition considering it's apparently not used for some time. It's located on Cherry Street.
 
Anyone know why the tender has two different trucks under it?
The lead truck had a steam-powered booster engine located on it for added tractive effort on starting. Apparently it was removed as no longer needed.

I have kitbashed a couple of Burlington M-4's from a pair of Mantua Mikado's for each M-4. It wouldn't be hard to simply shorten the front end before attaching the pilot. I did that to a Mantua Mike to create the only 0-8-0 switcher the Q ever created from a real Mike. Whether to make the Franklin booster for the 0-10-4 tender would depend on how much work one wants to do.

Great photo presentation! Thanks!
 
A few more pictures of the Bessemer 0-10-2:View attachment 261069View attachment 261070View attachment 261071View attachment 261074View attachment 261075View attachment 261076View attachment 261077View attachment 261078
After leaving Greenville, i traveled down towards New Castle, Pa. Taking the bypass US422 south of town, I noticed a tower down to the right side. First exit and i found it:View attachment 261072View attachment 261073
The tower is in very good condition considering it's apparently not used for some time. It's located on Cherry Street.
Seems someone (mfg) offers a model of this tower.
Thanks for sharing the photos>

John
 
It was February 27, 2026 and in the evening i decided to check out some of the activities at Enola Yard near Harrisburg, Pa. These are the pictures which got me in trouble with Norfolk Southern security:
IMG_20260227_171731802.jpg
IMG_20260227_171748008.jpg
IMG_20260227_171754649.jpg
IMG_20260227_171818655.jpg
IMG_20260227_171830327.jpg
IMG_20260227_171853803.jpg

The real gem was this former Conrail work gondola:
IMG_20260227_171921734.jpg
IMG_20260227_171935718.jpg
IMG_20260227_172004539.jpg

On some other days while at work driving the rig, a NJ Transit F40PH on former Lackawanna mainline heading to Hoboken:
IMG_20260302_075146827.jpg
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top