Kato SD40-2 high short hood conversion

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


With Sweethome Alabama's first exhibition looming in 6 weeks time, I have been feverishly upgrading some of the locomotives that I want to use on the layout. It's now the turn of the Kato Norfolk Southern SD40-2, which is going from a NW low short hood version, to a SOU high short hood.
Here's the model I'm starting with

nssd40-2.jpg



...and here's a photo of the locomotive it will be turned into, including the access door modification. #3204 is/was a regular visitor to Alabama.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=64456[/url]

The first task was to remove the short hood and cut/file off the numberboards. I use photos printed from the web as reference.

IMG_0185.JPG


IMG_0191.JPG


IMG_01922.JPG


Jon
 
I've knocked up the basic Canon hood, using side sheet containing the smaller recess for the brake lever. There's a bit of slop between the hood side and the cab steps/walkway but this can be easily fixed with some thin card inserts.
I've also drilled the holes for the grabs and headlight bulbs

IMG_0195.JPG


IMG_01941.JPG


IMG_01931.JPG


Jon
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top