BN_Railfan
New Member
Like many others, after a long time away from the hobby I have returned to find out that much has changed, and most of it for the better!
However, I am frustrated with a couple of things: my first locomotive's lighting and the difficulty in finding relevant information on the net.
In returning to the hobby I joined my local club and purchased a Kato SD40-2 locomotive to which a Loksound Select decoder was installed. I have had two nights to run the unit at the club, and I was disappointed to say the least at the lighting quality of this unit. The loco wears BNSF orange and green, and I can honestly say that the lighting output matches the shell's orange perfectly!
I suspected that the dealer did not do much programming when he installed the decoder, so I spent time last night programming CV values to ensure that the decoder was configured for LED output [CVs 263, 271, 279 and 287 all set to 128] however these changes had no effect on the light output/colour.
Based on my limited internet search skills, I have found rumours today that this may be a known issue with the light tubes that Kato uses in their locomotives. If this is the case, the only logical resolution would be to remove the factory light tubes and install separate LEDs for each output.
Does anyone else have any experience with poor lighting on Kato products? Unfortunately no one else at the club has Kato product so I have nothing to compare to. I appreciate any advice or assistance.
However, I am frustrated with a couple of things: my first locomotive's lighting and the difficulty in finding relevant information on the net.
In returning to the hobby I joined my local club and purchased a Kato SD40-2 locomotive to which a Loksound Select decoder was installed. I have had two nights to run the unit at the club, and I was disappointed to say the least at the lighting quality of this unit. The loco wears BNSF orange and green, and I can honestly say that the lighting output matches the shell's orange perfectly!
I suspected that the dealer did not do much programming when he installed the decoder, so I spent time last night programming CV values to ensure that the decoder was configured for LED output [CVs 263, 271, 279 and 287 all set to 128] however these changes had no effect on the light output/colour.
Based on my limited internet search skills, I have found rumours today that this may be a known issue with the light tubes that Kato uses in their locomotives. If this is the case, the only logical resolution would be to remove the factory light tubes and install separate LEDs for each output.
Does anyone else have any experience with poor lighting on Kato products? Unfortunately no one else at the club has Kato product so I have nothing to compare to. I appreciate any advice or assistance.
