K&T Southern - Shortline in HO Scale

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


It is not completely necessary to have the outside sway braces. Your bents are close enough together that they should be affected too much. But if you started pulling heavy trains across it, or accelerated frequently on the bridge, I would recommend them. Sway braces certainly add a great deal of realism to a model bridge. Some builders put their sway braces at the very outside of the bent edges, while others positioned theirs on the vertical posts toward the inside of the bent, where most of the weight is. You would still connect these to each sill as normal.

Trestle without sway braces:
Rattlesnake%20Trestle.jpg


Trestle with sway braces on the inside posts:
glen_mary_trestle-2.jpg


Another:
Trestle-bridge.jpg



But personally, I think a trestle looks best with the sway braces on the outer most posts.
 
Well, it looks like the consensus is in…I‘ll be attempting to add some diagonal bracing to thr outside of the timber trestle!

Have ever posted any early construction pics or a trackplan, Drew?

OK…you asked for it…(the only “track plan” is that scrawling on the first page of this thread…I‘ve been making it up as I go from there…)…these photos are from 2008, before the work stopage…

DSCF4165.jpg


DSCF4166.jpg


DSCF4170.jpg


DSCF4183.jpg


DSCF4182.jpg


DSCF4184.jpg


DSCF4191.jpg


DSCF4192.jpg


DSCF4195.jpg


DSCF4197.jpg
 
Nice construction pics, but you really need to watch who you let into the train room, your helper in the pic looks like a criminal :D

I know all about flying by the seat of your pants on track plans, I'm doing the same thing.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top