Just started work on my layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Looks good so far.

Might I suggest a tripod for videos. People are gonna get sick watching your bouncing video.
 
I will admit that I do not have a steady enough hand. In the future it will be either on a tripod or placed one something stationary.
 


Geeze, I'm kinda under the impression that we can take suggestions and ideas as we desire. Some good ideas here, as they apply to the person who posted them, but Nucular really has the option of using them in whole, in part or not at all. After all, he's footing the bill for his railroad and he is the one who can actually reach out and touch the layout that he is talking about. None of us can do that, except through the description that Nucular is offering.
Questioning screen name's? Never, ever, ever do that, unless of course you like being put in your place, in public.
Nucular, just a suggestion. If you are able to attain a Master's Degree, I would think getting up to speed with Digitrax or NCE should be a piece of cake for you. It's all pretty well laid out in the manuls. Comparing that to switching sections of track on and off for train control is pretty much how the standard DC systems have always worked.
 
Thanks for the comments D&J RailRoad.

As for learning DCC, it was not so much that I cannot learn it or figure it out but instead it just was having the time to do it. I generally work 2 jobs, so when I do have a little bit of free time, I like to really take advantage of it. For me I rather being building or running trains compared to reading a manual. But in the end it worked out. I ended up reading the manual a few times, and it is no problem to use the Digitrax. Glad that I looked into it more and read over the manual a few times before getting one.
 
Good to hear the success there Nucular. It's just a matter of building on what ya already know. Start with the basics and work out from there. Pretty soon, ya know how to dump memory on the command station and steal locomotives.
 
Anyhow another video. Some progress made on supporting the track. About 33% done with that. Just been taking my time and enjoying the building. As a lot of people say most of the fun is in building it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6uUCfV3nyo

Note: I still do not have a steady surface to mount the camera to, but I think this time my hands were a lot steadier.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do like your construction technique utilised in the framework. Completely over the top and over engineered. Something like I would do (and have done :) )

Your videos are great, compliments to you. I will admit the straight, square design of the track work is a little uniform to me. Have you though or incorporating some curves anywhere? It might break up the scenery a bit.
 
Thanks for the comments bn-1000.

I generally like making things stronger than what they need to be. I would have had less posts but the metal would bend at points beyond 8 feet, so I decided to add the posts back into the design.

As for adding more curves, I plan on having six lines, and others will have more curves. My main 2 lines are basically high speed lines. I was influenced by the Chicago IL, Metra, CTA, and Amtrak lines growing up, and those are more or less straight. I am putting a station which should brake up one of the long sections.

As for the other lines, one is going to be on mountains and through the mountains so that is roughly 90% curves. I plan on having more sidings, if anything for show. It is kind of nice to see a train car here or there on a siding.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top