ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

well i just ordered twelve pieces of atlas code 100 flex track. i have some other atlas fixed track so now with he additional 36 feet of track i can get something going now. who all uses code 100 and what do you think of it.???
It is all I use. It is too large in images, to be perfectly frank. Again, to be frank, I didn't really "get it" when I read about this problem. Now that I am taking images, I really do get it.
See for yourself.
Finally your gonna do something, get off your lazy but and start making that benchwork
Nothing wrong with code 100 except it really is too big to represent anything but the heaviest mainline rail. OTOH, as you can see from Crandell's picture, The only time it really stands out is on an unballasted section of track like that bridge. Otherwise, good weathering and ballasting make it look quite acceptable.
I use code 100 on the main lines. When you weather the rails they look a little more down to size, and when you ballast even better. Most other track is code 83 with a little 70 (?) on older industrial spurs.
Hi: I, like the other posters, also use code 100. I don't mind the rail size as much as the over sized molded on "spikes" of the older flex track. My layout is based on the PRR, which would have used heavier rail, (that's my story and I'm stickin to it). Here's an example. BTW, that is a great photo, Crandell.
dang good photos people, bring a tear of happiness to my eye to see such detail.
Thanks for you comment, DJ. Some day I hope to be able to turn out images as good as yours.
-Crandell
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)