ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
When I was a kid my dad and I did quite a bit of model railroading. Like a lot of people who were into the hobby as kids, my trains have been put away for years (almost twenty). My dad died suddenly a few months ago and I've recently been giving a lot of thought to getting back into model railroading with my own kids. Over Christmas I found all of my old trains, books, lots of track, buildings, etc. in storage.
I have attached my first attempt at an Xtrack layout - it's a .pdf file. This layout is only slightly adapted from an "Out and Back" layout from a book I've had forever (The HO Model Railroading Handbook). I've adjusted the table size to 5 x 9 to allow for more space.
I'm still working on learning the finer points of the Xtrack program and have LOTS to learn about all aspects of railroading. I've learned a lot from reading on this site the past weeks but still feel in way over my head. I know that this layout will present some interesting wiring predicaments, etc. (I plan to use DC).
Again, a lot of the "finer points" of this layout will need to be tweaked... but I would like to hear from you all regarding the "big picture." Does this look workable? What suggestions would you make?
ANY thoughts/ ideas/ criticism are welcome!
Thanks very much.
-Matt
I'll try posting that layout in a different format and see if it will appear in the body of the post...
You will need to insulate the rails at 'H' or you will have a short circuit. You have a reversing loop going on there, where a train can go in two different directions on the same section of track. It's very doable, but special wiring is called for. Also, you will need to broaden the curves coming off the turnouts between 'H' and 'E'. Especially at 'H'.
I don't see the point of the northern diagonal track. It adds the expense and work of two turnouts and a diamond, but it doesn't offer any operational benefit.
An around the wall layout in the same space would be more scenically pleasing and easier to access.
JA
Just wondering a couple things about the layout. First, what is the point of the layout i.e. what do function will your railroad serve? What do you want to get out of it?
I ask because I started my last layout along the same lines as yours and got kinda bored quick. Second, are there access points in the middle of the layout? Some areas look like they could be pretty tough to reach.
I was also wondering about the track at the bottom and the runaround you have built. Doesn't look like it has a lot of capacity, which is fine if that's what your going for. I think you could redesign it hold a couple more cars if you want to though. Maybe something like this?
Thanks for the thoughts so far! This helps.
As I look at this layout, I agree that the Northern diagonal is a bit of a waste. I think I'll remove that.
402drvr - you're right about some areas being hard to reach, I'll need to think through that. Thanks for your reworking of the bottom track, I like what you did there, will use that. You ask about my goal for the layout:
What I'd like to accomplish here is the ability to have a train continuously running at times (something my kids will enjoy watching) - the figure 8 accomplishes this. I also want to have some areas for industry, dropping off, picking up, switching between trains.... Maybe picking up lumber at one location then delivering to town... Having a coal tower set up somewhere. I'm trying to arrive at a layout that has some versatility to it. I'd like to have a couple of mountains as well as a decent size town, plus some industry, and the ability to have a train constantly running when needed...
Thanks so far.
Any more thoughts/comments/critique are welcomed!
Before doing much more designing on the plan, I think that you need two things.
One is a notebook for ideas and such that you can write down and not have to rack your brain trying to remember what was that killer idea I read about.
Second is to get a copy of John Armstrong's, "Track Planning for Realistic Operation". This is available from Kalmbach Publishing, the publishers of Model Railroader magazine. This will help you greatly.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)