joining modules

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


gabby

Bob Hayes
How are your mudules joined together if using them I am using bolts and wingnuts and just wondering if there is anything else somebody is using.

Bob Hayes
 
Same here, 5/16" x 3 1/2" carriage bolts, a 1 1/2" fender washer on either side, and a wing nut.
 
I have seen several modular layouts held together with those quick clamps but only on layouts that are moved quite often. These are the clamps that when you squeeze the trigger they close and another trigger to release them.
 


Thanks for the replys gang. I think I'm leaning towards the clamps rather than the bolts just for ease of pulling apart if the need arises.
 
could someone tell me if there is a standard of where the mainline should run on a module for connection to others? Is there a standard size? I want to start an ho layout and the size of my apartment is limiting but I will be moving at the end of the year, so I figured I could start on a module and do it in pieces so I dont have to wait. I am very impatient when it comes to my trains.
 
The NTrack Module how to book has all the details for N scale. That might give you some ideas. I don't know about HO.

Bob Hayes
 
Many HO modulars use an interpolated/scaled-up version of the NTrack module guidelines.

The standards are only needed when modules from several builders are to be connected. If you never intend to hook them up to other folks' modules, the position of the tracks it totally up to you.
 
My club uses Quick clamps to hold the modules together. We use RCA plugs to connect the wires.

The two modular systems I am familiar with for HO are Freemo and HO N-Track.

Freemo has one or two tracks centered on a 2' wide module. Dual track uses a 2" center. The modules can be any length and width and shape, as long as both ends are 2' wide with the track centered.

HO N-Track puts the tracks at the front edge of a 2' wide module. The first track center is 4" from the front edge of the module. The rest of the tracks are on 2" centers from there. I've seen this with two tracks and three tracks (the style my club uses)

If you are building modules for yourself, and not as part of a club or group, you don't have to follow any standard. Place the tracks where they work best for your track plan. Maintaining modular standards can be some what restricting to your design.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top