Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason, the Athearn SW1500 doesn't have molded on grab irons, it just has the bolt detail and a small dimple where you drill. But on other Athearn units like the SD40-2 with molded on grab irons, I shave them off with a #17 chisel blade, then sand it down smooth. The bell is on the left side right next to the 2 black air hoses in the picture. ;)
 
Thanks Jerome, I guess I assumed the SW1500 would have molded irons like most of the athearn BB's! The GP7 I'm working on is that way. Sounds similar to how I remove molded irons, with a flat #17 chisel. I was looking at the MicroMark detail chisel but am too cheap to fork over ~$19 for it, thats a lot of disposable blades! I'm also not sure how long the detail chisel holds an edge, I have little faith in my sharpening skills. :o

Thanks, Jason
 
Jason, is that the big long heavy chisel thing?? Mark gave me his, it's pretty hard to handle and doesn't get into tight places like the good old #17 blade does.
 


Must be how your looking at it. Brand new shell, made the way she should have. It is a pretty good illusion if I do say so myself!!!
 
NASA unit #2 is completed, few parts, decals, paint added.

100_1305.jpg
 
And finally this weekend, a little story behind ConRail SW1000 #9402.

Yard Master Stanley came to work in a foul mood Friday after hearing that his mother-in-law would be visiting all weekend.

He came into the engine shop around noon yelling and ranting that he'd almost been run over by unit #9402 because it was so dirty that he didn't even see it coming.

He told the shop foreman that none of his people would be going home until something was done about unit #9402. Well nobody wanted their weekend ruined, so they got right to fixing up unit #9402. Both pilots and end rails were painted right away.

100_1307.jpg


Young Tommy was gonna leave a parting shot for that old nasty Yard Master Stanley. So after everyone else had left for the weekend, he grabbed his brush and left this for Stanley.

100_1308.jpg


And what kind of mood do you think Stanley was in on Monday morning when he saw that???
 
And... this is why the FRA mandated ditch lights. :D

I noticed that in your first photo you have the handrail cut between the 2nd and 3rd stanchions, but after repaint, the rails magically reappeared! :O
 


Jason, is that the big long heavy chisel thing?? Mark gave me his, it's pretty hard to handle and doesn't get into tight places like the good old #17 blade does.

I think so, I've never seen one in person, just photos and yes, it does look a bit cumbersome. I busted off an order to Widget supply for the blades, seems like good prices.
 
Every good little switcher deserves a caboose. NASA #2 got hers today. Weathered the underside, window glazing, metal wheel sets and KayDee #158's added.

100_1321.jpg
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top