Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
The bristle antennas look great Jerome. Because they are flexible, have you ever had a problem with the paint coming off of them? It's also good to see the 415 back in the finishing booth, I have been anxious to see this one finished.

Brad, I've flexed the antennas a couple of times, no flaking of paint yet. ;)
 
100_1137.jpg

Jerome, when you do the edges of your steps and sills like on your new A&P Genset are you hand painting the edges or are you using decals?
 


Brad, the sills are done with Micro-Scale decals, the step edges are done with a paint pen.

100_2171.jpg


I picked these up at Michael's for about $5 each. The "extra" fine ones.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, for the end rails on all engines I use Pactra's Racing Finish, either Sprint White or Daytona Yellow. They are made for plastic RC car bodies so they flex. About $4.30 a bottle at my LHS.
 
Brad, the sills are done with Micro-Scale decals, the step edges are done with a paint pen.

I picked these up at Michael's for about $5 each. The "extra" fine ones.

What a great idea, I am glad I asked. Do you mind posting the sheet part number from Microscale for the sill stripes? I was also hoping to get the Microscale part number for the numbers you use on your SW's on the front and back number boards.
 
Brad, I use many different sets. It depends on the sill height. It can be anywhere from 3" to 8" stripes. I don't put many numbers on the number boards. I haven't found any set that will work for a 4 digit number yet.
 
Terry, for the end rails on all engines I use Pactra's Racing Finish, either Sprint White or Daytona Yellow. They are made for plastic RC car bodies so they flex. About $4.30 a bottle at my LHS.
$4.30 a bottle????:eek::eek::eek:

I just got a bottle of Daytona white for $2.75 at my LHS!!!!:D
 


Brad, I use many different sets. It depends on the sill height. It can be anywhere from 3" to 8" stripes. I don't put many numbers on the number boards. I haven't found any set that will work for a 4 digit number yet.

Don't worry, Jerome, the prototype has the same problem :D The MBTA's 2 gensets are numbered 3248 and 3249 and they can barely fit this numbers into the numberboards.
 
I've started a new PhotoBucket page with nothing but the switchers I've modeled in it. The link is below my signature. I'm way behind on pictures, so I'll be updating it a lot this week. Thank you to everyone that has shown interest in switchers and kept this thread alive for over a year and a half now!!!!!!
 
Karl, if that's for a 2/3 oz. bottle, I'm coming up to your LHS!!!! LOL Testors lists it for $4.53.

http://www.testors.com/products/137924

Yup, thats the one! :D Thats why my LHS is so busy too!, He does trains in all scales, plus R/C cars and heli's too! He's smart enough to realize that his prices are low, that means more volume compared to the other locals. This keeps him busy and profitable even in the summertime. Modelers and R/C enthusiasts all benefit equally!

If ya ever get up here, give me a shout. I'll hand deliver ya to him!!!!:D
 
Went to an estate auction yesterday. Found a box of trains, some n, some HO and some American Flyer.
Won the box for 18, sold the n scale stuff for 5, then my 14 year old became fixated on a slightly wrecked Rivirossi 0-6-0 switcher.
Missing valve gear and rod retaining screw on one side, busted cab roof end, tender missing and extremely dirty, I had visions of a derelict engine in the engine facility. He's got dreams of it running.
We spent 2 hours last night searching the spare parts bins for the proper screw, had to drill and tap the driver. but now the running gear is working.
Found a tender in my "junk" box. This thing may live just yet!
 
Went to an estate auction yesterday. Found a box of trains, some n, some HO and some American Flyer.
Won the box for 18, sold the n scale stuff for 5, then my 14 year old became fixated on a slightly wrecked Rivirossi 0-6-0 switcher.
Missing valve gear and rod retaining screw on one side, busted cab roof end, tender missing and extremely dirty, I had visions of a derelict engine in the engine facility. He's got dreams of it running.
We spent 2 hours last night searching the spare parts bins for the proper screw, had to drill and tap the driver. but now the running gear is working.
Found a tender in my "junk" box. This thing may live just yet!

Karl, you got that old steamer up and running yet?
 
Karl, you got that old steamer up and running yet?

This one????
It's alive!!!!!!!!!! Here's it taking it's 1st steps on the test track. Now for cleaning, new cab, and detailing. A certain 14 year old better be saving for a decoder soon!!!:D
At least its a switcher!!
 
This is not my 1st Rivirossi salvage job. #262 started as the same engine, purchased for a whole 2 bucks. Now a 2-6-2 prarie engine, with a can motor and decoder. Plus her flanges were turned dow so she can run on code 70 without bumping ties.
My son has aspirations of a running mate for her!:D
Maybe the two of them can service the upper branch line together??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Never did this before. Here's a Southern Pacific SW1500 shell with all of the parts laid out. I didn't realize there was this much to add to one of these before, I just did it. LOL

100_1299.jpg
 


Jerome, how do you shave off the molded grab irons, do you use a detail chisel, or something else?
Oh yeah, where is the bell for the SW1500? :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top