Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
The undecs come with different sideframes? Wow, if I knew that, I would have bought the ones going for $60 on ebay! I really want some SW1500s for NS, but I looked at the sideframes in the photo and noticed that they were incorrect for NS. DOH!

Actually, how hard would it be to renumber a factory painted RTR model? Athearn makes 3 numbers for NS, none of which fit the modern roster *rolls eyes* (LHS has them for $77.98 a piece)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Jerome, you have any idea on what to do with the wavy handrail on the P2K SW9's? Should I snip it at the eye bolt and then drill it out? What size brass wire would I use?
 
Jerome, how hard would it be to renumber a factory painted RTR model? Athearn makes 3 numbers for NS, none of which fit the modern roster, but if renumbered and redecaled with a horsehead logo, would fit right in.

Steve, I'd just replace the Walthers eyebolt with a metal one.
 
Jerome, how hard would it be to renumber a factory painted RTR model? Athearn makes 3 numbers for NS, none of which fit the modern roster, but if renumbered and redecaled with a horsehead logo, would fit right in.

Steve, I'd just replace the Walthers eyebolt with a metal one.

I use a bit of thinner on a Q-tip. Slowly rubbing the number off. then re-decal it, re-gloss it, then weather. I've done a bunch for myself and Mark that way. Or you can sand it off, repaint, gloss, decal, gloss, weather.
 
There's a guy on YouTube that goes by the name of conrailsd40guy that did a video about how he uses a rounded exacto knife To scrap the factory numbers. Look it up. I tried his way on my guilford models and it worked very well
 
can you link me? I can't seem to find the video that you've mentioned.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Steve, just yank it out like I did this one.

100_1131-1.jpg


You'll need to shave off the 3 lift rings and replace them with these.

http://www.1stplacehobbies.com/cgi-bin/p_229-1105_n.asp

Then use some of this to form new handrails. The bolt detail stays on the hood at each end.

http://www.1stplacehobbies.com/cgi-bin/p_229-3503_n.asp
 
Steve, they have good close up pictures of most parts. So it's a good reference site. I get most of my parts through Mark.
 
i may order some stuff too. I'm not going to go nuts on this SW9, just upgrade whats there. Same for the PRR SW9 i just got also. So many projects, not enough time.
 
The bristle antennas look great Jerome. Because they are flexible, have you ever had a problem with the paint coming off of them? It's also good to see the 415 back in the finishing booth, I have been anxious to see this one finished.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top