Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad, for the wheels I use Floquil Rail Brown (darkened a bit to my taste) brush painted on. For the trucks, first a coat of grimy black, then an over spray of rust, then dull-coat. The trucks I air brush the paint on.
 
Couldnt agree with ya more on that. Id like to get some other bb switchers other then the sw7 and the baldwin s12. If i wasnt brain dead id of kept the 2 proto 2k sw9's i had or at least one.

I watched both of those L&N SW9/1200's, but they got too rich for me.

One question I have for ya is what do ya do as far as drivetrain and motor go. Does that stay all original or do ya add dcc? Or even just get rid of the stupid power strip and just hardwire everything for dc.

If it's one I'm keeping for me, it goes up to Mark for DCC and LED's. If it's for a customer, I let them decide what they want. If it's one for sale, it remains stock.
 


I think I have asked before but I can't remember. What ratio do you thin your Dull Coat to and do you use Lacquer thinner or Varsol (not sure if those are the same thing)?
 
I think I have asked before but I can't remember. What ratio do you thin your Dull Coat to and do you use Lacquer thinner or Varsol (not sure if those are the same thing)?

I like my dull-coat and gloss coat a bit on the thick side. I usually mix it 70/30. I use the little bottles of Testors Lacquer thinner. Using both the Testors dull/gloss coat and their thinner, I know what the results will be. I've tried other brands of thinners in the past with mixed results.
 
And the latest ones from the factory. These 2 were custom ordered by James (Alcomotive) for his roster. They started life as Athearn Blue Box engines. They are both from actual units. Numerous detail parts, then weathering, then they went up to Mark for DCC and lights. They have working headlights (front and back), beacon light and directional ditch lights. Now they are off to James in time for Christmas!!

100_4920.jpg


100_4921.jpg


100_4922.jpg


100_4923.jpg


here's the prototype pictures I used for them.

spp1121upy2.jpg


SP2475SW1500-1.jpg
 
Sweet! :D Thank you Jerome for your hard work & detailing/weathering and thank you Mark for your work on the DCC and lights!

My UPRR look forward to accepting the delivery and will definitely enjoy getting work out of those o'l horses! I for one... can not wait to receive them! Awsome!:eek:

Another great production from the Switcher guy! ;):)LOL!

edit* Looking forward to my SD40-2 CNW / UP Patched unit too!;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking locos. If I can add one of mine I did this weekend

Athearn BB EJ&E Switcher with a Athearn BB cabosse.
I painted both and did the decals. blocked out windows on the cabosse and installed the decoder.
 
damn jerome some very nice work.

If ya dont mind me asking or if ya would rather not say in the open what do ya charge to do one of those with say mild detailing? If someone were to send ya the stuff or use what you got?

Mike
 
Jerome, fabulous work as usual. Mark, great job on the lighting. Are sure one of those wasn't supposed to go to my house for Christmas? :)

Trent, nice looking job on the caboose and SW-7 too.
 


Jerome, fabulous work as usual. Mark, great job on the lighting. Are sure one of those wasn't supposed to go to my house for Christmas? :)

Trent, nice looking job on the caboose and SW-7 too.

Cough....cough the Grinch says NO....LOL:D
 
Nice looking locos. If I can add one of mine I did this weekend

Athearn BB EJ&E Switcher with a Athearn BB cabosse.
I painted both and did the decals. blocked out windows on the cabosse and installed the decoder.

Trent, I "NEED" to see a close up of that switcher!!!!!!! :D
 
damn jerome some very nice work.

If ya dont mind me asking or if ya would rather not say in the open what do ya charge to do one of those with say mild detailing? If someone were to send ya the stuff or use what you got?

Mike

Mike, it all depends on if I start with one of my units, what parts are installed, if it's stock paint, custom paint & decals, weathering, powered or dummy, DCC or DC, lights or no lights, etc.

Anywhere from $40 to $150 depending on what is wanted.
 
I will have to get you some good close up shots next time its out of the box. this is the only other pic I found of it and in does not show any real detail.

Its just a old BB Athearn painted this weekend with Polly scale water based paint/flat coated. lightly weathered around the radiator. and truck frames. Microscale decals. A orange beacon on the cab roof. I wired in front and rear headlights,
 
here ya go Jerome. Its not my best detail work as I just noticed that the EJ&E lettering is a little curved. Couldent tell untill I took a detail shot of it LOL:( my eyes cant see it but the camera can. this was a sunday night quick job. took about 3 hours total to wire in a Decoder, paint and decal.

Trent
 
Thanks Jarome

If I recall it was polly scale "Dirt" (water based)
I did not mix it with anything just thinned, gloss coat for the decals, 1 more coat of gloss to seal, and then sprayed it with flat finish.

The cabosse is SP daylight orange, also by polly scale
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top