ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
nice job they did on that. Looks like some nice photo etched screen. i'd love to find that myself.
Yeah I was stoked when I noticed it upon opening the package, I just I wish I bid on the matching dummy unit, I think it only went for 10 dollars

Cory, how are the couplers mounted to that shell???
Cory, how are the couplers mounted to that shell???
They are kadee couplers/coupler pockets and attach with a screw to the frame.
OK, well whomever did that grill work did an outstanding job. That's the same seller that I bought one of my own models back from. He's not who I sold it to though, that was a gentleman in Kentucky. I'm wondering if he sold off his collection because he was buying anything and everything NS or patched NS.
OK, well whomever did that grill work did an outstanding job. That's the same seller that I bought one of my own models back from. He's not who I sold it to though, that was a gentleman in Kentucky. I'm wondering if he sold off his collection because he was buying anything and everything NS or patched NS.
Could be, he had a bunch of Conrail locos patched for NS. There were two other sw1500's I just missed out on and a sd40-2 that I got outbid on. I managed to snipe this one and I'm glad I did. I was hoping the see through grill was an off the shelf item so I could add it to my other BB, even on the inside of the shell it is hard to tell that someone replaced it.
Cory, it would be possible buy the grill from the newer RTR Athearn units and graphed it on to the older BB ones. Just a lot of cutting and trimming to do.
A while back I did some CN switchers. Well I've been asked by Carl (suprduc) to make this CP unit for him. This is the prototype.
I started with his Athearn RTR SW1500. Here's the basic kit.
And here is how she looks today with the following extras installed.
Bell air line, grab irons, eye bolts, antennas, sunshades, etched steps, etched step guide. Just waiting for the CP red paint to arrive now.
Looks good Jerome, I didn't realize the grills for the RTR units are seperate pieces. I wonder if Athearn will sell them by themselves. Oh well another project on the long list of want to do's.
Those updated Athearn SW 1000-1500's are really nice. I just put sound into one, and the see through grill allowed me to drill through the shell under the grill so the speaker fires up. It was a bit of a shoehorn job, especially with the SP light package, but it was worth it.
The build is coming along quite nicely, looking good Jerome!!!
Hi Jerome,
Although it's been a while for me posting to the forum, I just want to say thanks for sharing your work. I am always amazed at the pieces you do, and do well. The SW's were always near and dear to me. Great thread sir.
Johnny
Thank you Johnny. I don't know why, but these little critters are more fun to me than the big road units. I'm getting very close to the point where I'll have more switchers than I do road units!!
Thank you Johnny. I don't know why, but these little critters are more fun to me than the big road units. I'm getting very close to the point where I'll have more switchers than I do road units!!

You must have quite the collection of road units
Cory, there's 143 switchers on one wall, and 79 road units on the other wall. I'd have to open up the storage bins to find out how many more road units I actually have in there yet.
The only problem I've found with these switchers is, if you leave a couple of them sitting on the workbench overnight, they tend to multiply!!!

I think they are like gremlins, never leave them unattended!!
I wish mine would multiply over night! LOL.
The CP switcher got a coat of paint tonight. It is really RED!!!! LOL
I see your still high jacking the SW deliveries bound for the LHS's! Has Athearn ever contacted you to say, "Thank You, If it weren't for your $$$$$ we would go Belly Up!" I hate to see how much you spend a month on your trains! My wife cringes when I spend $20.00!
I see your still high jacking the SW deliveries bound for the LHS's! Has Athearn ever contacted you to say, "Thank You, If it weren't for your $$$$$ we would go Belly Up!" I hate to see how much you spend a month on your trains! My wife cringes when I spend $20.00!
Chris, I have not gotten anymore BB kits in a while now. They are either getting hard to find or going way to high on Ebay. These are ones I had for years just sitting around. I'm finally down to the last 20 or so. When I run out, I'll have to find another type of engine to corner the market on!!! LOL

The only time Athearn ever contacts me is to tell me some parts I ordered are back ordered!! I might spend $100-200 a month, depends on how many detail parts or decals I need for projects I've got on the table. I'm lucky to have a wife that lets me play with my toys. She knows it keeps me in the house and out of trouble.

- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)