It's my own fault.....

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I wish my work bench was close to the layout. My layout is in the basement and the workbench is in the garage so it's a lot of back and forth trips for me.

My workbench is about 2hrs from my layout... The layout that I'm building with my Dad that is. It makes it a real pain in the patuty to "quickly test fit" anything.

The club I belong to is about 15min away. That's not to bad.
 
Yes, the bench is in the basement with the layout. The carpet helps alot with springs etc, and helps keeping small parts from rolling away. Good Cheap shag carpet remnants work best. I just wish I could talk my wife into moving the laundry into the garage so I could double the layout size. :rolleyes:
 


I am having a bit of a workbench problem myself.

Between the old computer stuff, the CNC stuff, and the model train stuff, I can't even get into the workshop area. Some how I am planning on fitting a small switching layout in there.
 
I just wish I could talk my wife into moving the laundry into the garage so I could double the layout size. :rolleyes:
My girlfriend always says how generous she is by giving me my own room for the trains. Of course I had to quip that she has her own room too, motioning across the basement towards the laundry room....
The doctors say I should be walking on my own in a few weeks!:p
 
My girlfriend always says how generous she is by giving me my own room for the trains. Of course I had to quip that she has her own room too, motioning across the basement towards the laundry room....
The doctors say I should be walking on my own in a few weeks!:p

Hell hath no fury like that of a woman.....:D
 
Ron, I guess I shouldn't complain about my one minute trip to the basement then. :) That sounds like quite a challenge. I've get to get to work cleaning mine up though. It's not only irritating me but the rest of the garage is fairly neat and my corner is starting to look like a bum's hangout.
 
Well, I guess I got yall beat. I have my workbench completely organized! A place for everything and everything in its place!:D

Now if I can only remember where those places are, I'll have it licked!;)
 


A Common Trait It Seems Yet Depressing Too!

Well after reviewing the various posts I too have become very de pre ss ed
and am giving up the hobby due to all the clutter e v e r y w h e r e, just can't handle it any more!!

Nice talking with you guys, bye. :( :mad: :(
J K


Yea it seems that due to all the various aspects of the hobby it's easy to accumulate lots of stuff of all types but as has been said organization or some semblance of it SURE IS HELPFUL So join the club if your not already indoctrinated. Actually sometimes doing a little searching is a good thing as it can refresh our memories as to what we have that we were just the other day looking for but moved on finding yet something else to do!

Searching is kind of like Christmas all over again too! Great to rediscover things you've forgoten about! Right!? ;) :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings Old 97,
I have developed a system that has helped me cut way down on the searching time, as we all know time spent searching for materials and tools can eat up valuable creative time so here is my solution, one by the way that I use every day and allows me to get great amounts of finish work done in a course of a day.

People here and at the other site always say that I work fast, I don't work as fast as they think, I just work more effectively.

I have a steel meshed basket with a handel on it, I think of my project and all the steps it will take to bring it from raw materials too completion, I write up a list of tasks and what materials and tools the task will take.

I thenDo all my searching up front, I put all the tools I'll need in my basket and the smaller supplies, and in a wood box I have I place all the materials needed for the job.

I call my system "Job Kitting" my wife calls it my "Home shopping", she thinks it funny how I get organized before a project.

now when the task begins I have everything at hand and can get into my mojo building groove and the next I know it is 8 hours later and I've got about 16 hours worth of work done...

At first it takes the disicline to just do it but now after so many months it is like secound nature.

Good Luck and above all, Have fun, oh yah! and work smarter not harder!!
Jess Red Horse of the "Organized Ho workers" Tribe
 
Jess, I like that basket idea. I've thought of something along those lines in the past but have never done it. The only thing I'd change is to solid plastic from steel mesh. I know I'd have some small but irreplaceable part fall out and never find it again. :)
 
Well here is my contribution for what passes as a relatively tidy work bench.
Generally any "work in progress" s kept in a plastic container and brought out as needed. My biggest problem is tool storage i have so many i loose track of what i have and need to remind my self constantly what i do have :)
 
Still looks pretty darned neat compared to my mess. I still have to put all the Fourth of July fireworks away before I can find my tools. :)
 
What you need is a system - a nice, orderly bench will help productivity:

project004.jpg


Andy
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top