BN8002
Did someone say B-unit?
Yes a layout does take years to finish, but isn't that really the goal? To have a hobby where you take your time, build at your own pace, (to avoid burnout), to your own satisfaction, to your own timeline. This isn't a race, its a hobby. I've been in this hobby now for 50 years, and have really never had a "burned out" period. There were times where I did nothing but read and build kits, for months, but never have been truly burned out.
Right now, I'm building what I call my last layout. I figure that it will take me approx 10 years to get all track down, (I'm 7 years into it, and could start some operating sessions on it now, but that would slow down the construction), 1 year for basic scenery, and then the rest of the 20 year construction plan, detailing, improving and refurbishing what is there. By then I'll be in my late sixties and will be ready to stop construction and enjoy just operating it to its fullest.
My goal is to have an operable layout that I can run my models on and operate with friends. I figure now that I'm at that stage, scenery will follow over the course of a couple years. What I was getting at though is that if a layout is too big it could take you too much time to get the benchwork and track up and never get it operable. So much work that it become a daunting task and you scrap what you have done and start over on something smaller that you can even have the hope of running one day. If you're really into layout constructing then a large layout could be fun..But while I enjoyed building my layout and watching it come together, I enjoy it more now that its operating and I had my moments of, "oh boy am I ever going to get this up and running."
