Is this reasonably possible?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


JoeJ

New Member
Is there a realistic way to get small old time (say, 1860-90) locomotives in HO or HOn3 that run well, and are equipped with both DCC and sound? Brass or plastic are both acceptable, and I'm not afraid of kits or kitbashing (I've been a military modeler since I was a child), but scratchbuilding a complete loco is probably beyond me.

Basically, I'm ready to start planning my first layout, so I'm trying to figure out which of my ideas are practical and which aren't.

Thanks
Joe
 
I had a similar old time concept to yours although not to any specific time period, and got this very small old fashioned Mantua Classics DCC loco as my first engine...

IMG_3439.png


The combined length of engine and tender are under 7 inches.

IMG_3486.png


It doesn't have sound but runs really nice. And with the extremely short wheelbase it easily negotiates small radius curves.


Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tooter, cool little loco! How many wheels pick up power?
Joe, you can put sound into just about anything these days.
They make some pretty small sound decoders and speakers too.
 


I've been looking at one of these Bachmann Spectrum locos for my mine area (not sure how easy it would be to add sound, but it is DCC):

(Click image for product info)
 
Tooter, cool little loco! How many wheels pick up power?
Joe, you can put sound into just about anything these days.
They make some pretty small sound decoders and speakers too.

Because the engine is so small, the provision for DCC is cleverly put inside the tender and one set of wheels on each truck has a power pickup. A nine pin connector links the tender to the engine. The engine's wheels also appear to pickup current, but I'll have to turn it upside down and touch some wires to it to find out just how many of them are electrically active. It has one traction tire on a rear wheel. I'll only be running it on low tech DC as the layout will definitely be a very small one. With only three engines and a trolley so far, I'm planning on simple electrically isolated tracks off of a manual turntable and running into engine houses so I can bring out the one I want to run...

IMG_3472.jpg


The Mantua has exactly the "narrow gauge" look I like...

IMG_3558.png


IMG_3488.png


...small, short, and old fashioned...

...just like me :)


Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking at one of these Bachmann Spectrum locos for my mine area (not sure how easy it would be to add sound, but it is DCC):

(Click image for product info)

I considered that Bachmann too... but it looked too long with a lot of overhang for the wheelbase, and I also liked the Mantua's little slope back tender... and the $65 price. ;)
 
Is there a realistic way to get small old time (say, 1860-90) locomotives in HO or HOn3 that run well, and are equipped with both DCC and sound? Brass or plastic are both acceptable, and I'm not afraid of kits or kitbashing (I've been a military modeler since I was a child), but scratchbuilding a complete loco is probably beyond me.

Basically, I'm ready to start planning my first layout, so I'm trying to figure out which of my ideas are practical and which aren't.

Thanks
Joe
Bachmann makes loco's from your general time frame. Also DCC and Sound equipped with Tsunami decoders.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?page=2&act=viewCat&catId=189
 
The recent Roundhouse "Old Time" engines are good runners. I don't think too much of their sound decoder, but the engines run well. I have bought several and plugged in my own decoders.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top