ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hi there,
I'm looking for some additional locos and ran across this listing near me...
http://allentown.craigslist.org/tag/4903241797.html
Does anyone know if this is a good deal for these? I looked on Ebay and it seems the prices there are comparable.
As you may know from my other posts, I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to model railroading so any help appreciated.
That is an eclectic mix of locomotives. are you interested in all of them? Do you run DC or DCC power for your layout? If you run DCC would you be comfortable installing decoders?
The prices individually are fairly good if as the seller says they are in C-9 condition, new in the box and have only been run to test them.
Strange that someone would be trying to sell such a group of completely unrelated locomotives as a set instead of separate, as Louis said. The thing I would be worried about most, though, is the finality of such a transaction, especially if you're not familiar with having to fix locomotives. Especially and most definitely if there were no way to test them and see them run for yourself before purchase. On craigslist there's no recourse available in case of a bad locomotive unless the person just happens to be nice and decides to give you your money back out of the goodness of their heart. Since eBay purchases are at least covered by their buyer protection guarantee, I think I'd probably be more inclined to purchase them that way if, as you say, the prices were about the same.
Even if you were to install decoders in these locomotives, It isn't a bad deal, The Pensy o-4-0 is questionable, but with the overall price for all four, I don't think you could go wrong if you aren't bothered by the diversity of road names.
The penny 0-4-0 is model power and not really worth that much, the two spectrum engines are hit or miss, if they are new then they should run well and be pretty well worth $25 each, on the RDC I think $50 is a fair price!
To me there is a difference between a "fair price" and a "good deal". I would not consider any of these a good deal. They are a normal deal (except the Model Power unit, in my opinion should be closer to $5).
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)