ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I would like to buy a kato set but I don't know if the locomotives are analog. The controller that comes with it is analog so is it? And will I have to install a decoder. If so could someone post links on DIY pages.
What scale and what exact locomotive are you asking about? It's impossible to give you a general answer.
Sorry I forgot all about it, I'm thinking of buying the super chief N scale starter set. However I'm also thinking of buying a digitrax zephyr starter system to control with DCC when I can save up some more money.
Gomez Addams
Staff member
Sorry I forgot all about it, I'm thinking of buying the super chief N scale starter set. However I'm also thinking of buying a digitrax zephyr starter system to control with DCC when I can save up some more money.
The F units are DCC friendly. That is, you can pull out the circuit board and replace it with a decoder.
Yep, if you get the Zephyr and a a decoder, it's pretty easy to pop it into the newer F units. The reason I asked the question is Kato makes both HO and N scale and some of them have DCC, some have a qucik plug on the lighting board so you can plug in a DCC decoder, and others have nothing and can be a real pain to adapt to DCC. Always best to make sure you know exactly what you're getting with Kato, especially in N scale.
thanks, I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna get one because I already have HO stuff but I am thinking of starting a friend together T-track based club. I didn't want to use HO because of size issues but That is why
i was wondering
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)