ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hello guys,
I am just begining to get back into Model railroading and was wondering has anyone ever modeled the Iron Ore Docks in N Scale from the Michigan or Minnesota Railroads? I would like to find some plans to model this for my layout. any help would be great. Thank You.
Good idea.
I live in upper peninsula of Michigan near escanaba
Michigan and im going to model escanaba & lake superior rr and canadian national rr.
Escanaba mi has a iron ore dock along with a few other locations ....
Thats great Joe maybe we can share ideas soon ;-) I am origianally from detroit moved to arizona in 05. Going to base my railroad on the LS&I and Possibly Escanaba & Marquette.Along with some fictional background Railway of my own. looking for blueprints of the docks in Marquette but havent found any yet.
IIRC one of the Kalmbach Railroads you can Model books had a track plan and prototype photos on a iron range railroad. I have lost my copies of the books, so I can't provide more information.
Glenn
You going to just do Iron Ore or Copper also? It would be neet to model Fayette also.
Kevin
I hope you have A LOT of room!
The ore docks, and any ships they might be loading, dwarf trains in real life. I was recently up in Escanaba and Marquette, MI. Amazing stuff.
Here's an old thread I found on the subject and it's right here on MRR forums. Since the last post was from 2008, I'm guessing it was never completed, but there's some plans in the thread that may be useful to you.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8733
Good luck!
Thanks Morgreh, I found those too, plus I dug out some old Model Railroad mags I had, not much showing the blueprints though. I know they make a HO kit I may grab the plans from there and scale it down. I know of 4 people who have modeled the docks in the past.Yeah I am looking at at least a 6 foot section just for the ore dock and cars.Also have a few books on the way that I purchased off of amazon.com. I have room for a 15 x 22 foot layout.But I am looking to gradually build up to that point.NWDad I may add some limestone and coal for blast furnaces in the future maybe even the power plant at the marquette dock. But your right that would be a great area to model I love the U.P.Copper Range Railroad is an awesome site check it out an old friend modeled it and had his own website great reading and pics.Sadly he passed away a few years back

.But good researching for anyone doing that area.Joed some good books to check into are by Pat Dorin on that whole area Iron Will also good reading.Enough Ranting thanks guys for the input glad to be here

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)