Shark Nose
Rail Traffic Cntrl Addict
Hi everyone-
My name is Kevin, I am 38, and I have lived in the Delaware Valley of PA/NJ all my life, currently in Lambertville, NJ. I have been drawn (and prodded by some friends) back into model railroading (HO) after a nearly 30 year absence and wound up here as a source for some layout mechanics info I was looking for. I have been a bit shy to post because as I have explored this world and its people more thoroughly than I had ever (I learned on a lone wolf layout) I have discovered that my main draw is quite different than many others. I am a freak for Rail Traffic Control (and a railfan as well) and I am mesmerized by the thought of seeing how busy I can get a model railroad to be without mishap. (Apparently not something one would ever see on a prototype except in a very busy city). My draw for this comes from the layout my Dad designed when I was a baby. It was (obviously) DC, focused mostly on operations (no constructed scenery, just a base of grass paper, with some buildings, trees and lichen integrated) and had provisions to run four trains, two trackless trolleys, and four Model Motoring slot cars at once, all integrated. My favorite thing to do was run two trains at once by myself and keep them separated (a lot of switch flipping!), and in between just let one go around by itself and run a slot car.
I have already seen a few threads that I had a slightly different perspective on, but wanted to put myself out here before I jumped in. I have read already about two years of back Layout Posts looking for info and seen along the way many examples of all of your dedication to having fun instead of rivet counting.
I am looking forward to participating.
Kevin
My name is Kevin, I am 38, and I have lived in the Delaware Valley of PA/NJ all my life, currently in Lambertville, NJ. I have been drawn (and prodded by some friends) back into model railroading (HO) after a nearly 30 year absence and wound up here as a source for some layout mechanics info I was looking for. I have been a bit shy to post because as I have explored this world and its people more thoroughly than I had ever (I learned on a lone wolf layout) I have discovered that my main draw is quite different than many others. I am a freak for Rail Traffic Control (and a railfan as well) and I am mesmerized by the thought of seeing how busy I can get a model railroad to be without mishap. (Apparently not something one would ever see on a prototype except in a very busy city). My draw for this comes from the layout my Dad designed when I was a baby. It was (obviously) DC, focused mostly on operations (no constructed scenery, just a base of grass paper, with some buildings, trees and lichen integrated) and had provisions to run four trains, two trackless trolleys, and four Model Motoring slot cars at once, all integrated. My favorite thing to do was run two trains at once by myself and keep them separated (a lot of switch flipping!), and in between just let one go around by itself and run a slot car.
I have already seen a few threads that I had a slightly different perspective on, but wanted to put myself out here before I jumped in. I have read already about two years of back Layout Posts looking for info and seen along the way many examples of all of your dedication to having fun instead of rivet counting.
Kevin
