Input on some steam loco's

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Applebin

New Member
I'm going to make a small 2'x4' coffee table size layout and was looking for a steamer to run as DC, since it will only be running 1 loco at a time.

The minimum turn radius will be 10".

Here are what I've come across as potentials and was curious as to your experiences with them.

http://trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=17924&find_section=708
http://trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=4874&find_section=643
http://trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=4878&find_section=643
http://trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=17506&find_section=543
http://trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=26610&find_section=681

Any additional suggestions about engines from experience are greatly appreciated.

(edit) If this belongs in the Locomotives and Rolling Stock forum more than N Scale I apologize and would appreciate if an admin would move it there for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Atheren 2-8-0 is sized the best for a 2'x4' layout. You might want to consider the Atheren 2-6-0, Model Power 4-4-0, Model Power 2-6-0 or Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0. I own several of the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 engines and they all run really well.

Glenn
 
I have one of the Model Power 4-6-2 DC locos in the Pennsylvania RR trim (similar to the loco in the last link that you provided) that I run on 11" radius without issue. It's a nice looking locomotive, relatively heavy weight, and runs pretty strong. However, I do have a downfall with it. It's REALLY noisy (it has been lubed). I can live with the noise that it creates.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top