ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hi, how do you work out the ratio of a climbing track? I need to climb 10 inches and need to know how to work out the percentage and ratio needed. This is N scale
cheers Tony

Here is what I was told:
2% grade max... That is 2 inches in 100 inches or 1 inch in 50 inches.
% = height/length of grade
or
length of grade = height/% Percent as a decimal, 2% = .02 in this case.
However I think people commonly use 3% and even 4%. On my N scale layout I am staying with the 2% number. Likely you will get other opinions and comments.
I highly recommend you check out
this thread for some good discussion on this topic.
Personally I am sticking with a little over 3%, but I'll be running MU consists.
Hi Tony -
The thread recommended in the previous post is a good one with lots of information.
To address your specific question, climbing 10" on a model railroad layout at a reasonable grade is going to require a long run of track.
For example, to climb 10" at a 2% grade will require:
10" / 0.02 = 500" = 41 feet, 8 inches of track
If you increase the grade to 3%, you can shorten the run:
10" / 0.03 = 333" = 27 feet, 9 inches
And if you go to 4% grade, which is considered to be rather steep:
10" / 0.04 = 250" = 20 feet, 10 inches
The general rule of thumb is that a 2% to 3% grade is about the maximum for a model railroad main line. Beyond that, you'll be restricted to short trains or multiple engines to pull a typical train up such a steep grade. The runs calculated above will bring you to the top of a 10" rise. You will need an equal length of track you get back down to the base level.
So if you want to climb 10", I hope you have a large layout (or a helix).
- Jeff
Nobody has mentioned the easement into the grade. You don't go from flat to 2% grade with a sharp bend in the track. If you are going to constrain yourself to a 2% grade, your actual runout of track will be more than the basic calculation of 2% at 10". You have to take into consideration the wheel base of the locomotives you are running, the length of cars and your coupler tolerance.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)