ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
What would you DO or NOT DO if you had it to do over. I'm starting a new layout and its been 12 yrs since my last one. There are a lot of updates mostly to Loco and DCC but layouts not so much. I'd still like to get your inputs
I am doing it over again and this is what I'm doing.
- buying a house with a basement specifically for a model railroad
- doing the walls to support scenery and sky background color
- attaching the benchwork to the walls
- building peninsulas that are secured to the floors with concrete screws
- building the layout to fill the entire basement from the start
It's been a long time since I had my HO layout, but if I were to do it again I'd probably go for N scale. I'd want to do a lot of research on reliability and operations and DCC availability, though. Those things are all really well nailed down in HO, but I suspect I'd be displeased with much of it in N scale.
Identify exactly what it is that turns you on in the hobby. Then spend the time on developing your plan, so that you won't be constantly rebuilding, because 'it's still not what I want it.'
Build things in modules that you can carry out of the basement/attic, without destroying, in case you have to move again.
Build things in phases so even if you have less time in the future than you expect, you'll have something that you can run on, and detail. As time allows, expand according to your phased plan.
Make sure what you build is reliable. Unreliable track/operations kills the fun real quick.
If I had the room, consider a larger scale.
Keep aisle space as wide as possible.
Keep the layout room neat.
Take friends up early and often on offers to help.
Like most people do N and not HO. Would make sure DCC stuff and reliability was up to snuff first.
I would draw out the bench work and scenery on the wall so I could paint it before hand.
Put in 3 or 4 times the amount of room between towns.
Draw out the industry buildings better. (If there is a coal mine have something that uses a lot of coal)
Have 1 or 2 terminal blocks for each block and run my feeders to the terminal blocks.
redesign to have a dedicated high speed rail line that can be used for my high speed train instead of trying to share it with the 5:00 express freighter...while running local passenger opperations...oh and make sure I have a high speed train that has working pantograph that can draw power off the cantilever lines (term?)
A friend of mine has two helixes on his layout - I don't understand the need for more than one getting between decks - it seems a large waste of space and resources to have multiples.
gravel said:
Like most people do N and not HO. Would make sure DCC stuff and reliability was up to snuff first.
I would draw out the bench work and scenery on the wall so I could paint it before hand.
Put in 3 or 4 times the amount of room between towns.
Draw out the industry buildings better. (If there is a coal mine have something that uses a lot of coal)
Have 1 or 2 terminal blocks for each block and run my feeders to the terminal blocks.
Having purpose to your madness is VERY important. And space between destinations so the trains feel like they're going somewhere. But if you had, say, 3 industries with 3 or 4 total destinations, you could have your trains run through one industry or destination's scene while on its way to another industry or destination. That way it's more than just A <--> B. And your industries and destinations can be in the same scene as well. A town that turns logs into wood and paper and furniture, suddenly becomes an industry itself who's products can be delivered to another town. And it can all be run by a couple trains, or independent trains between each industry and destination.
Good thoughts fellas. I had an "N" scale above my garage. I was the president of a local club that had a permanent HO layout as well as modular component. I find that I enjoy all of the construction and building more than the actual running of the trains. Therefore I am planning a very large 20' x 30' so I can build until I die. Of course I will get the main lines running asap. Keep the ideas coming. I'm inclined to go HO due to avaiablity of stuff. However N scale in a room that large would be awsome.
What would you DO or NOT DO if you had it to do over. I'm starting a new layout and its been 12 yrs since my last one. There are a lot of updates mostly to Loco and DCC but layouts not so much. I'd still like to get your inputs
Layout specifically or model railroading in general? 1. I would have never switched to N-scale and just stayed in HO. 2. I would not have purchased so much stuff for "future" projects even if it was cheap. I still haven't finished some of those things I paid for in 1989, and now the project is moot because someone came out with that specific thing I was building. 3. Buy more books instead of equipment. 4. Solve problems as they occur instead of letting them pile up. 5. Joined NMRA Teen Association when it first started. 6. Joined more railroad historical and modeling societies earlier.
How about things I was glad I did....
1. Switching to command control as soon as it was technically feasible. I've been running trains not track since 1984. CTC-16 -> RailCommand -> DCC.
2. Having on-board sound as soon as it was technically feasible (and I could afford it) PFM in 1983.
3. Joining a club and learning all the skills from the other members.
4. Joining operating groups and touring other people's layouts and learning how to operate them.
5. Going to lots of swap meets and getting stuff 2nd hand.
6. Got some G-gauge equipment for around the Christmas tree.
7. Memorize 101 trackplan book, and the Atlas Custom Line track plans for HO railroads.
Probably lots more I could put in both categories.