Ideas on making a section for future layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


For one door? They wouldn't even need the delivery truck for that! Unless you happen to live $30 in diesel fuel away... :rolleyes:

That sounds like a good size. Have you decided on a track plan yet?

http://www.huntervalleylines.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1

This guy has alot of cool plans, most 24"x86". I'm sure most of the designs would not miss the 6", especially if you stay strictly to #4 turnouts.

I haven't decided on a track plan yet, but I'm on it. Thank you for the link to those plans. I like the Tuttle Brewing plan.
My plan has to be able to fit into a future layout in a room probably 11 X 12 or 12 X 13 feet. I want this 6ft 8 inches section to fit into the middle of the 12 foot wall area, but want 36 inch radiuses off the mainline ends and #8 turnouts because my steamers only look good on these.
 
lol, I was looking at that one too. It's surprisingly interesting for only 6'. I had the idea of an extra spur into the brewery that cuts across the parking lot and enters the building close to the near edge of the module. I'd also make sure to leave room to cut in a turnout and x-ing so that, as the author mentions, you could add another industry there at a later date. But then that might make the plan look a little crowded...

I don't think that this necessarily has to go on the walls. Why not plan to make it a branch? either room you list has plenty of space in the middle for a peninsula. It's just a suggestion. Your idea is fine, but 'Tuttle Brewing' more strikes me as an industrial park rather than a couple industries off the mainline.
 
lol, I was looking at that one too. It's surprisingly interesting for only 6'. I had the idea of an extra spur into the brewery that cuts across the parking lot and enters the building close to the near edge of the module. I'd also make sure to leave room to cut in a turnout and x-ing so that, as the author mentions, you could add another industry there at a later date. But then that might make the plan look a little crowded...

I don't think that this necessarily has to go on the walls. Why not plan to make it a branch? either room you list has plenty of space in the middle for a peninsula. It's just a suggestion. Your idea is fine, but 'Tuttle Brewing' more strikes me as an industrial park rather than a couple industries off the mainline.

Branch line is what I like. I'm thinking of small seafood distributor on one siding and another siding that could be a team track.

Here is the track plan from my previous layout, but the next layout I want less track.

I kept the section with the coaling trestle.
 


...Less track? That's already pretty spartan man. the coal trestle is pretty neat though

Tis a bit Spartan, but I'm such a sucker for landscapes.

I'm thinking a runaround track within the 6ft 8 inches will be too cramped.

Perhaps I'll stick to a siding or two and one of them can eventually continue to become a runaround onto another section.

Planning is so challenging without knowing the future room dimensions and I really don't want a switching layout.
 
Take a Google at the Heart of Georgia (HOG) trackplan. You might find some additional ideas there for a donut or round-the-walls, similar to your former trackplan.
 
Have you looked into any layouts that you can disassemble really easily? I mean, there are so many model train layouts for small spaces, but why not compromise and just go with a larger layout that you can put up, and take down. Just my 2 cents..
 
Have you looked into any layouts that you can disassemble really easily? I mean, there are so many model train layouts for small spaces, but why not compromise and just go with a larger layout that you can put up, and take down. Just my 2 cents..

Interesting... Just have to make sturdy fold up legs, but the legs would have to be height-adjustable in order to make the sections meet perfect. I suppose I could set it up in the living room and store the sections in a closet upright. 2 cents much appreciated.

I think I could start with two sections making a L shape layout then later add more.
 
I scarped the idea of a L shaped layout.

I got the foam and the doors today at Home Depot. Also folding legs, but have to return them; they are flimsy and defective. Going to go to Canadian Tire tomorrow to get better ones hopefully. Still haven't decided what would be good as a fascia. Need something to enhance the structural integrity of the module, protect the edges of the foam, and hide the wiring.

I'm still a bit nervous about working with the foam. Never have used it before. Always have used homasote roadbed on plywood. I'm sure my homasote roadbed will work on the foam.

Here is my track plan. Module A will attach to module B. It is basically for now a switching layout with no. 8 turnouts my largest loco, which is a 2-8-2. The tracks on module B will serve as a staging area until I get a larger place and will incorporate these two modules into a future layout.

On module A, the team track on the lower left will later become an extended runaround track.

I still haven't figured out a way to attach and detach the modules.
 
Last edited by a moderator:






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top