I only wanted a package of couplers.....

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


flyboy2610

Loveably weird
I went to my LHS for a package of Kadee couplers. Honest, that's really all I intended to buy! I got to browsing the shelves. I walked out with this:
008.png

It is a Rivarossi 4-8-8-2 cab forward, #4257. The cab lettering says it is an AC-12, but 4257 was actually an AC-11, so Rivarossi gets the wagging finger of shame for that one!
The MSRP was $499.99. His original price was $249.00
I got it for $100!
It has no wiring or anything of that sort for DCC, it's DC only (for now!), the tender has no electrical pickup, there is no wire connection between loco and tender. The tender coupler was a horn hook style that was split in the rear, enabling it to snap on and off it's mounting post. It came in a red box, and the date on the parts sheet (which is in Italian) has a date of 1990 on it. This thing has never been run, there is absolutely no wear on the traction tire (of which I am no fan) at all! The LHS owner says that he lubed it before putting it on the shelf, and I believe him, because he is an honest guy and I know from past experience I can trust him.
I will convert it to DCC when I have a layout on which it can actually run. I will be replacing the tender coupler with a Kadee unit and draft gear box. The tender trucks are held on by plastic pins which snap into the tender bottom. Those will be replaced with something a bit more secure.
I am very happy! I have wanted one of these for a long time. Now, all that's left on my locomotive want list is a UP 9000 series 4-12-2. But that may have to wait a while.
Does anyone know how to get the tender shell off these things? I tried but it didn't want to come off, and I don't want to break it.
Thanks in advance!
 
I went to my LHS for a package of Kadee couplers. Honest, that's really all I intended to buy! I got to browsing the shelves. I walked out with this:
008.png

It is a Rivarossi 4-8-8-2 cab forward, #4257. The cab lettering says it is an AC-12, but 4257 was actually an AC-11, so Rivarossi gets the wagging finger of shame for that one!
The MSRP was $499.99. His original price was $249.00
I got it for $100!
It has no wiring or anything of that sort for DCC, it's DC only (for now!), the tender has no electrical pickup, there is no wire connection between loco and tender. The tender coupler was a horn hook style that was split in the rear, enabling it to snap on and off it's mounting post. It came in a red box, and the date on the parts sheet (which is in Italian) has a date of 1990 on it. This thing has never been run, there is absolutely no wear on the traction tire (of which I am no fan) at all! The LHS owner says that he lubed it before putting it on the shelf, and I believe him, because he is an honest guy and I know from past experience I can trust him.
I will convert it to DCC when I have a layout on which it can actually run. I will be replacing the tender coupler with a Kadee unit and draft gear box. The tender trucks are held on by plastic pins which snap into the tender bottom. Those will be replaced with something a bit more secure.
I am very happy! I have wanted one of these for a long time. Now, all that's left on my locomotive want list is a UP 9000 series 4-12-2. But that may have to wait a while.
Does anyone know how to get the tender shell off these things? I tried but it didn't want to come off, and I don't want to break it.
Thanks in advance!

I have one of those also. Never really paid attention to the cab lettering so I pulled it out tonight and my box says AC11 but the loco has AC12 like yours.

As for removing the tender shell. Pull the pin that you put in the drawbar out of the bottom then lift up on the bottom slightly and slide it forward until the tab at the rear comes out of the slot in the shell.
 
LOL I do that all the time. I tell myself, I only need to pick up one thing, then walk out of the LHS with an empty wallet. oooops
 


I have one of those also. Never really paid attention to the cab lettering so I pulled it out tonight and my box says AC11 but the loco has AC12 like yours.

As for removing the tender shell. Pull the pin that you put in the drawbar out of the bottom then lift up on the bottom slightly and slide it forward until the tab at the rear comes out of the slot in the shell.
:)Perfect! It came right off! Thanks much!!
 
I have a complete consist of the Rivarossi Milwaukee Road Hiawatha (F7 Hudson Loco) made who knows when. It also has those crappy trucks and couplers. I may just run it as is, once I get a layout set up, as I won't be coupling any other rolling stock with it. If it doesn't run well I'll give it the full treatment. Loco runs fine on the test track.

ps. I also dislike traction tires.:(
 
I have two of the older model and love to see them run. You got a good deal.
One has the origional tender that had electrical pick-up and transfered the power to the engine thru the metal drawbar. On the other one i got a Bachmann Oil Hickens Vandy tender for it.

Bob
 
Time to buy some Northwest Shortline replacement wheels to get rid of those finicky traction tire equipped wheels!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top