ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I have a LGB 2020 engine and its about 25 years old. I have it out once a year during christmas. Over the years it has been less reliable. It will run for a minute or two and then the circuit breaker in the transformer will click, it will cool off and the train will move for a few seconds or up to a minute and do the same thing again and again. Also, the trains speed is nowhere near what it used to be, probably 1/3 of it original speed! I tested the transformer with a meter and I am getting the 17 volts both forward and reverse! Put the power supply directly to the engine and I get the same results, so it makes me believe it has nothing to do with the track. I also tested the track without the engine and I am getting up to 17 volts, but once I put the engine on the track, I am only getting about 6 volts and again, that will only last up to a minute then the breaker will blow. Do you guys believe I have a transformer problem or a motor problem? By the way, I also lubed the engine just in case!
Motor problem. It's stalling out because it's old and dirty would be my guess.
The electrical contacts in the motor are probably corroded or have so much carbon buildup that it creates a very high amount of resistance, hence dropping your transformer voltage and overheating the engine.
Definitely sounds like its in bad need of some maintenance! Probably need to tear down the loco, and clean out all the carpet fibers from the axles, and clean the commutator of the motor and relube everything.
I have a LGB, the 0-4-0 with 2 passenger cars, I bought when my daughter was born. Its run every year for 34 years now, and I do maintenance on it when required, about every 3 years.
Some. I use CRC electronics cleaner to spray down into the motor's ventilation holes. I spray until the cleaner starts running out one of the other vent holes. I've gotten a lot of crud and dirt out of a motor this way.
If I can see the commutator, then I'll use a pipe cleaner saturated with CRC, and attempt to wipe it clean, otherwise spray it with the CRC quite a bit until the run off is fairly clear, then let dry.