I need any and all opinions!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I have an ho scale layout I'm working on that runs on DC only and I would like to have sound. I only have two athearn locomotives that are DCC compatible but I understand there is a way to have sound without DCC. Should I go the route of just adding sound or would my time and money be better spent switching to DCC? I am totally clueless with all DCC components and how to use or install them so that's why I checked into sound on just a DC layout. I've tried watching videos but they are too advanced for my layout. Can anyone help?
 
I believe that most sound models manufactured within the last 5 years are equipped for running on both DCC and DC layouts. The drawback is that with analog DC you usually can't customize the sounds as intricately as you can with DCC.
 


MRC had a system with 2 speakers that played sound. It was totally separate from the layout. It may still be available from them.
 
practically all DCC sound decoders have dc capabilities, plus digitrax has a sound only decoder. one of the brands maybe BLI or other you could toggle thru many of the CV's using only the reverser switch. You could search the Walthers site for DC sound systems. Modeltronics years ago had a DC sound system, but thats real golden oldie.
 
G'day Brian....Several manufacturers do dual mode locos that'll do sound in both DC and DCC...I've got a couple of them myself...Broadway Limited is mine...only basic in DC but still good...Re decoders...With your Athearn locos , are they DCC Ready....if so....and the 8 pin ones....easy peasy...just keep an eye out for some regular specials on sound decoders...only one thing...make sure the decoder does the right manufacturers sound...ie GE sounder or EMD sounder etc... but there are generic DCC sound decoders out there too...just depends on how particular you want to be...Re controllers....I tried ROCO , then Bachmann Dynamis but found the best for me at least was the NCE Powercab...They're well priced and can be upgraded as your layout gets more demanding...however there are other equally fantastic systems to use..As they say..How long is a piece of string..?..Cheers Rod...
 
That's great info Rodney. Yes both locos are DCC ready and 8 pins in both. I'm glad I asked this question on here because I went from clueless to have multiple ideas. I'll be checking everything out and watching for prices. Thank you so much!
 
Like Rod. I use NCE Powercab, it was easy to use initially when I had no clue about DCC. Personally I would go DCC (but after changing I am biased!). If you go DCC but don't want or cannot afford sound in all locos. just put in a simple chip. I use low priced Bachmann ones for non-sound locomotives. All my locomotives are DCC but some will be fitted with sound chips as I can afford them.

Beware though - sound really does add another dimension to operation and you will be hooked...... ;)
 


Brian,

Go to DCC and never look back. I did 5 years ago when I got back into the hobby. Absolutely ZERO regrets. I started with a NCE PowerCab and expanded it. Best part is you run trains instead of running your track...

Brad
 
guess it depends on what you want. you can put in a sound decoder and just have the engine sound with regular dc control. some decoders have the ability to allow use of the bell or whistle by manipulating the direction switch on the power pack, but otherwise you do not get access to the many available functions that you can get switching to dcc. kind of like going and buying the latest,greatest tv with all of the bells and whistles at the store, then getting a remote that only changes the channel in one direction(anyone remember that, having to keep going up to get to one channel down?). if that is ok, dc works fine, if not,go dcc. even if you stick with dc, it gets old and you will want the dcc before you know it.
 
Well I can't thank you all enough for the help. It sounds like I'll be going over to DCC. Trouble is where do I start? Other than the decoders for the locomotives, what else do I need?
 
Brian,

Check out the following website/e-retailers...

Tony's Trains at http://www.tonystrains.com

Ulrich Models at http://www.ulrichmodels.biz/servlet/StoreFront

Litchfield Station at http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php

I too recommend the NCE PowerCab. About $130. I looked at Digitrax (another popular DCC system) but found NCE more intuitive, ie it just clicked for me. Made in the USA too. If you can find a friend or a club or perhaps a good local hobby shop to test drive, try that. Whatever you choose, the great part is you can mix and match manufacturers as the are all compliant with each other.

Also, pick up a couple basic DCC books off amazon or buy from the bookshop on this site (see the headers above, it helps the website). I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/DCC-Made-Easy...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1404187709&sr=1-11&keywords=dcc

http://www.amazon.com/DCC-Projects-...8&qid=1404187670&sr=1-1&keywords=dcc+projects

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Wiring-...ks&ie=UTF8&qid=1404187709&sr=1-3&keywords=dcc

This website is good too for learning: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/index.htm

Have fun, and don't feel overwhelmed. This website has been an invaluable resource to me. A lot of knowledge found here and great people!

Brad
 
I have an NCE Power-Pro 5amp, which while it is more expensive than the base Powercab will give you more power for programming some of the sound decoders, Tsunamis being one such. The lower amp systems usually require a booster on the programming track. Soundtrax Tsunami's are a very popular DCC/sound decoder with several manufacturers,(I have several, some I've just bought) but they do have a drawback, engine sounds i.e acceleration and deceleration to a standstill in particular, require speeding up or slowing down gradually or if stopping too fast, produce an overrun effect, the sound keeps going even though the engine has stopped.

Apart from the links bigB has shown, have a good read through the DCC section of the forum. Also, while you'll find many of what's called DCC Ready locos out there, earlier and some late models produced aren't built to take sound speakers easily, requiring modifications to the frame.

Don't be deterred by what seems complexity, a bit of study and questions will set you straight.
 
G'day Brian , and all the contributors on this great thread...I was nervous about switching to DCC but exactly like Bob said Absolutely zero regrets , and Alan said..Re sound..You' be hooked...YOU DO...It gives your layout real life...more than any other improvement...I paid $149 for my Powercab..best $149 I ever spent...will run practically anything..even MTH DCS...I can personally attest to that...Can be just as easy to wire up a DCC control system as DC...and over time the only thing that'l limit you is your imagination..There's capacity to do your turnouts off the system , crossing lights etc etc ..as you get used to the different features...Re your Athearns with 8 pin plugs..Easy peasy...just unscrew the coupler boxes in most cases with Athearn and the whole shell lifts off and there it is ....just pull out the blanking plug to expose the 8 pin location for the decoder...and replace it with your new DCC decoder...Re the sound ones...all depends on what model you have but the location and placing of the speaker is the only real decision to be made..If I can do it....anyone can...not joking either... Most Model rail suppliers have great discounts on both sound or non sound decoders and if you watch you can get some nice prices very regularly...My last sound decoder cost me $69...Have fun....Cheers Rod..
 


Thank you everyone. I now am getting started with DCC. I have decoders being shipped and I'm shopping around for controllers. One question though can I use powered locos in tandem that aren't DCC equipped or should I modify them?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top