How to weather a loco

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


train

New Member
I have some nicely detail locos I would like to weather. I have chalk. My quetion is after all the weathering is done, how do you seal the chalk so it won't rub off. Other tips on weathering are welcomed.
 
Get some Dullcoat spray to seal it. I use the AIM weathering powders, they spray it with Dullcoat.

The chalks and powder are really really messy. So do this outside if possible, or put lots of newspapers down. And get some of those latex medical gloves.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Barrs makes a nice weathering powder,l too. I use this to create a "lightly" weathered effect. The packet comes with four colors, with black and three rusty colors. They also include directions which call for practice on a not particularily valuable item.

They don't necessarily call for the dullcoat. In fact, with Barrs, I just apply with a small brush (rubbing in with the bristles, using a dabbing and circular motion) and gently puff off any excess with a breath of air. Rubbing with your hand may leave a small residue on your hand. Some plastics or resins take the powder better than others.

When I tried to seal them with dullcoat, they seemed to loose their effect.

Being a relative beginner, compared to others here, I use only the Barrs, Alcohol and India ink, and watered down hobby paint as my weathering compounds.

These are messy like Motleys products, and require a clear work area and newspaper, no kids around.

Here is an inexpensive locomotive that I may have gone a bit overboard on:

IMG_4824.JPG

Hope this helps!!! lasm
 


I would strongly recommend sealing with a light coat of dullcoat to keep from damaging or rub off your weathering due to handling your equipment.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that when using regular chalks, that Dullcoat will almost dissolve away the chalk. So long before other companies came out with their powders, when using chalks, if you first hold them in place with hair spray they'll stay. It's best to use a pump type spray instead of a can, as you need to "mist" the spray onto the surface. After this you can then "mist" the first coat of Dullcoat onto the chalk.

This is a method that I have used for over 30 yrs, and for those of us who are on the "frugal" side,(IOW Cheap B*****ds), this works using materials with more varieties of colors than regular weathering powders.
 
I use AIM weathering powders. My experience is that spraying with Dullcote does lessen the effect, so I stopped doing it. I have also observed that the AIM powders do not really rub-off. I do Dullcote prior to applying any weathering whether it be powders, dry-brushing or whatever. My experience only.
willie
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top