Greetings,
This is a really basic question: I am doing a rather slow, purposeful planning of a modest sized O gauge model railroad. It consists mainly of a steam locomotive, rail cars, and a handful of accessories that came from my wife's father - from right around WWII. It will be augmented by newer items, new track, power source, and possibly a complete second O gauge train. It's being created mainly for my grandson who loves any kind of vehicles: cars, buses, trains, - you name it. (I had a pretty good sized HO setup when I was a kid - and never forgot the fun we had with it).
OK - so, I've seen many YouTube and other related online videos of all sorts of model railroads, read through a number of Model Railroader journals, searched this forum, etc. You get the idea. I have seen a LOT of setups where at least one long edge of the train table is right up against a wall. Some have two edges up against a wall. I thought it was proper and sensible to leave space around the entire table in order to fix any accessory or track, or even rescue a derailment if necessary. Putting the edge that close to a wall would make that very difficult if not impossible.
So - long way around the barn -should I plan on leaving enough of an isle around the table in order to get to things, or is there a way to avoid this? Having my setup pushed up against the walls like this would really help me save space in the room. Or, do I leave space? Can I leave space, run the trains and operate any accessories beforehand, then make sure all is working and aligned properly, and THEN gently push the table against the walls?
Thanks for your patience with this really basic model railroading 101 question!
Doug
This is a really basic question: I am doing a rather slow, purposeful planning of a modest sized O gauge model railroad. It consists mainly of a steam locomotive, rail cars, and a handful of accessories that came from my wife's father - from right around WWII. It will be augmented by newer items, new track, power source, and possibly a complete second O gauge train. It's being created mainly for my grandson who loves any kind of vehicles: cars, buses, trains, - you name it. (I had a pretty good sized HO setup when I was a kid - and never forgot the fun we had with it).
OK - so, I've seen many YouTube and other related online videos of all sorts of model railroads, read through a number of Model Railroader journals, searched this forum, etc. You get the idea. I have seen a LOT of setups where at least one long edge of the train table is right up against a wall. Some have two edges up against a wall. I thought it was proper and sensible to leave space around the entire table in order to fix any accessory or track, or even rescue a derailment if necessary. Putting the edge that close to a wall would make that very difficult if not impossible.
So - long way around the barn -should I plan on leaving enough of an isle around the table in order to get to things, or is there a way to avoid this? Having my setup pushed up against the walls like this would really help me save space in the room. Or, do I leave space? Can I leave space, run the trains and operate any accessories beforehand, then make sure all is working and aligned properly, and THEN gently push the table against the walls?
Thanks for your patience with this really basic model railroading 101 question!
Doug
