How much does it cost +/- to go DCC?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Is it digressive, that is, the second unit is less than the first, etc?
No. Not in the strict sense of that statement. The costs will break down something like this:
1. The major cost is the control unit. That is a one time cost required for 1 or 9999 locos.
2. The cost of a decoder for each loco is going to be a fixed cost per unit.
3. The cost for each throttle is going to be a fixed cost per unit.
4. The cost for power boosters is going to be a fixed cost per unit. Figure at least about 1 booster for each 10-20 locos.

So, I guess, if you continue to divide the cost of the control unit further each time you add a unit then it could be viewed as progressively cheaper per unit. If one was graphing the average cost of the entire system over "per unit" and against time, it would go high. It would drop with each unit until the threshold for a new booster was hit where it would spike up again and begin to drop. So a rick rack pattern.

Decoders is where one used to be able to save by buying in bulk, but as the price continues to come down this is less and less an value. When I first purchased DCC, everyone from the club went in on 1 order. We ordered about 100 decoders (the NCE D13SJR as a matter of fact) and got them for less than $9 each. That was when they were retailing for about $24.

Can you go "used" with the Internet?
Absolutely. I got my NCE Pro-R from ebay for less than 1/2 the list of a new unit.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I agree with the previous poster, Iron Horseman. As in so many instances, the up-front costs CAN be horse-choking, but it all depends on the parameters of the purchasing requirement that you set for yourself. If you have several/a lot of locomotives that you must have converted, either by yourself or others, then you'll have to include the costs of each locomotive's requisite decoder, plus any other oddities such as a resistor here or there, plus its installation if you don't/can't do it yourself. When you purchase your DCC system, you'll want to know what demands will be placed upon it, both in terms of how many decoders will draw amperage through it at any one time, and how much amperage that will amount to at a peak load. If you expect to have friends over to run several trains, you'll need extra throttles, but each of those throttles will control a decoder with an amperage throughput to a can motor...or two. The can motors are what take up about 90% of the amperage at any one time.

Your base controller, the brains of the system, if it must be new in box, will set you back at least $130 these days, and you can go up to $600 for some larger systems with duplex throttles (meaning radio, no coiled tethers to the throttles which limit their mobility around the train room), or much more than a mere $600 if you have to have one or more boosters or auto-reversers.

If you are unlikely to ever have more than three decoders running motive amperage to their slaved can motors at any one time, you'll never need more than about 3 amps. If controlled individually, you'll need three throttles (except in the case of the DT400 series made by Digitrax with their two encoders on the paddle, each a throttle). If the three locomotives will be consisted, as you'd see in MU'd diesels, then you'll only need the one throttle. You can see that you must have a firm idea of your requirements before you pay for even the one shipment...or you can add even more shipping costs for something you didn't know to order.
 
Regarding used equipment, I've had excellent luck buying used locomotives on eBay or on N-scale Yard Sale, typically getting good running locos for about half the cost of new ones. In most cases, I purchased used locos without decoders in them, then added the decoders myself.

I am by no means an expert, but I am handy enough to fix minor problems and to tune up the locos. If you are not comfortable with taking apart and tinkering with small mechanical items, then used locomotives might not be a good idea for you.

We all must be aware of our limitations!

- Jeff
 
Probably the cheapest way is to use jmri and a sprog3. But, that assumes a certain degree of computer literacy, and that you're confidant using phones, tablets as throttles versus a dedicated unit. If I started over, that's what I'd do... but I'm a computer geek with a couple of machines laying around and such.
 
kjchronister,

Thanks, but no thanks.

I cannot even spell Windows ate.

Windows 8 eats my lunch!

Just kidding, but I am not in your league.

Bill
 
kjchronister,

Thanks, but no thanks.

I cannot even spell Windows ate.

Windows 8 eats my lunch!

Just kidding, but I am not in your league.

Bill
Well then, fwiw I'll toss my hat in with the folks who say nce: I find their throttles much less arcane than the other big players. Though i do like the basic lenz throttle with the big fat dial. Look for used on ebay or the boards.
 
The cost of going DCC basically depends on what controller you choose as there's a wide price difference and which decoder(s) you do for each engine. DCC ready engines are going to be more expensive than the non ready locos as well. I picked up a NOS MRC Prodigy Express cab for $75. Decoder wise, I'm leaning towards Tsunami for my Kato SD40-2 and Athearn AC4400CW, which will run about $90 per loco. So, about $255 total. That doesn't include the cost of the DCC ready engines, which was another $250. If you're starting from scratch and want to run 2 DCC engines, I'd figure about $400-500 for all new equipment. You can spend less for used on eBay.
 
Hey Mister Bill

Here is a very basic and simple to operate DCC system. $89.99 http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-44902-EZ-Command-DCC-Control-System-p/bac-44902.htm
It can easily operate 2 or 3 DCC locomotives.
Bachmann has a YouTube channel with instructional videos too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAin_nEMHlY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj-03Lrh3EU

You can pick up Bachmann DCC locomotives, no sound for about $50 I have four of them and they run great and the detail is better then my eyes can see.

If you tell me what road names and types of locomotives you are looking for I would be happy to help and provide you some links to click on.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
 


One of the really nice aspects about this hobby is that you can spend as much or as little as you'd like no matter what element of your setup you're talking about. That certainly holds true with DCC systems as well. I don't have any experience with Bachmann equipment, but I was actually looking at that very same controller before going the MRC route. I think Louis is on to something with his suggestions. Good luck!
 
Just out of curiosity (though I have a reason to ask), what scale are you modeling in?
Once you get past the initial cost of the DCC system, many of us have DCC-equipped engines we no longer use, and would let go pretty inexpensively to someone just starting out. That way, even if you ruin one or two (doubtful), you aren't out much, as far as cash, and the experience you gain will help you not ruin one when you get hold of an expen$ive one.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top