How many use FastTracks?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Do you use FastTracks?


  • Total voters
    50
If you only have 1 switch to build don't buy FastTracks. If you have more than 10, it's the way to go IMHO.

With my double crossover jig, I have also built turnouts. Today, I even managed to build a wye. :D

So ONE switch cost a couple hundred bucks!? Guess things have gotten much more expensive since I last had a model train back in the mid-late 70's.
 
So ONE switch cost a couple hundred bucks!? Guess things have gotten much more expensive since I last had a model train back in the mid-late 70's.

What I believe Dave is trying to say and what is true is that it costs about $200 to get started. You can build five or six with the materials and from there on out build switches for $9-16 each. And they look far beyond anything you can buy in a store.
 
A single turnout, if that is all you'll ever make with the set you get from Fast Tracks, plus the costs of all the other materials you will need, will be whatever you end up paying for those items. It may be closer to $300, depending on what you actually exchange monetarily for all items you need.

It is also true that, supposing your costs were indeed $300, your second turnout would reduce the cost of each to $150, four would mean that each was worth $75 each, and 8 would be $37.50 each. But the time you make 12 turnouts, plus the inevitable two or three other specialwork ones that spring to mind (with an estimated value of $25 each) as you tidy up and refine your track plan, you end up with turnouts costing about what you would pay for a typical Atlas Customline turnout, except that your learning is priceless and the ones you make will perform much better than the Atlas turnouts. Weathered up and ballasted, they'll look better, too.

-Crandell
 


Just to be clear for a newb, a turnout and a switch are one in the same?

To some yes. To others no. I believe it is technically called a turnout however the two terms are used here and in the hobby interchangeably. If someone does try to correct you just ask them what their rivet count for the day is.;)
 
I have made 10 # 10's so far, 4 more to go. Then I have 40 #5's to make. I'm making a curved using the Quick Sticks as a template. I would dearly love to swap or buy a #6 threeway turnout for use as a lead to a carfloat. N Scale, Atlas code 55. I will be using a slide switch for throwing the turnout and powering the frog.
 
Just to be clear for a newb, a turnout and a switch are one in the same?

To be fully correct, the entire appliance that allows the train to divert to another route/track is properly termed a turnout. That is what the engineering department calls them, and they are often built as a single unit and hoisted into position, just like a giant Peco or Atlas 'turntout' on our model railroad.

The part that the folks who use them call the switch is what the engineering department also calls "the switch", and that is the points rails and throwbar. So, you line the switch for a route through the turnout.

-Crandell
 
also a newb, thanks for the clarification

man some of those pics of that system makes the tracks look like home fries and waffles lol
 


One more question, I see some called #10's, #5's, whats that term mean?

Those #s represent the frog angle. The smaller the # the sharper the angle. A #5 would diverge from straight 1 unit of measurement (inches, feet, etc.) in five units. Same thing w/ any other switch #.
 
I've been wanting to use FastTracks jigs since I learned about them, but the high cost of entry ($200 for each different angle of turnout) always discouraged me, since my layout was already built and I never needed more than a few.

But today, I'm in the process of rebuilding my layout. I initially hoped to re-use at least 90% of the original t/o's, but I'm afraid the trauma of extracting them may have done irreprable damage (i.e. rail torn loose from the ties). So now I have an "excuse" to spend the money since I'll be needing at least 10 new #6's anyway.
 
I use Fast Tracks and absolutely love them!!! I have the code 83 #6 jig and have built probably about 20 turnouts now with it. I have also built about another 5 turnouts now with just there paper templates and they turned out fantastic.
 
Those #s represent the frog angle. The smaller the # the sharper the angle. A #5 would diverge from straight 1 unit of measurement (inches, feet, etc.) in five units. Same thing w/ any other switch #.

Sorry, a dense newbie here... :confused:

Is the #5 the ratio of the distance from the sharp end of the point to the pointed end of the frog to the unit of distance between the rails?
 
Sorry, a dense newbie here... :confused:

Is the #5 the ratio of the distance from the sharp end of the point to the pointed end of the frog to the unit of distance between the rails?

It's really an imaginary line between the straight rail & diverging rails. Most model track manufactures put a curve thru the point rails on the diverging route so its not easy to see the actual frog angle. You should be able to measure the frog angle by putting two rulers against the rails as shown in the attached picture. As you can see the angle actually does not begin at the ends of the point rails.
 
Hey, thanks for explaining the angle. :)

Is the other distance that makes up the ratio the distance between the rails?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top