How do you quit second-guessing your track plan?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


When do you stop planning and building a layout/design? Based on my experience, its a continual process/never. That's one of the problems I currently have-I've been redesigning my track plan for years now for what I've thought will be my 'ultimate layout.' I've constructed and re-constructed portions of it over the last 5 years or so, and still don't have anything that runs. About a year ago, I finally got tired of constantly re-doing what I'd built in the basement, and went back to one of the first plans I came up with, when we moved into our new house about 5 years ago. Another issue as to why I haven't gotten further along with the build is that when we moved in, I decided to utilize an Ikea storage system, and basically build a good portion of the layout on top of these components. that has resulted in some certain limitations in terms of the design, which I wouldn't have, if I used a more conventional construction method.

Another consideration has been that I've been looking to get to the point, where I actually like the design I come up with, and can actually build it, which has extended the planning process, as although I have a large space for the layout, there are a lot of scenes I want to include relatively realistically, which quickly uses up what real estate I have. I've also considered the idea of building the layout in sections, to having something running, quicker, or having someone build a portion of the layout for me, but that last choice gets expensive really quickly.

The bottom line to me has been to do enough itternations of the plan, so that I get to the point that I'm satisfied that I've considered the best options for the space I have, then proceed to build what I've designed. FWIW, I've still working to improve my process.
 
I never had a track plan drawn out when I was building my layout, but I did know what I wanted for a layout. My choice was to go for a switching layout. I also like yard and engine facilities. The final decision was made to build a point to point layout with a yard and engine terminal at each end. I built the layout in sections, using 1x4's for bench work in 8 foot sections just in case the layout had to be moved. (ain't gonna happen now as we have no plans at all to ever move)

When I started, I was hand laying my track and turnouts with code 70 rail so construction was a bit slow. Eight feet of track was down so using a pair of alligator clips from a power pack, trains were running. Not far, but they were running. Slowly, more sections were added and then towns were planned along with the industries in the towns. I probably didn't get any scenery started during the first five years.

My layout was started over 30 years ago so I may have gotten off to a slower start than you. Scenery slowly started to cover the open cookie cutter bench work and trains were running. I finally built the last town and yard around 2 years ago. There were periods when no work at all was done for months or even years because we have no hobby shops at all in our area, but I could still run trains on what I had.

You do have a plan which is important. Before I even started, I know that I wanted to model the transition era. Knowing this, I never spent money on locomotives or rolling stock that wouldn't fit the time period. I know the area I wanted to model, which is right where I happen to live. I knew what industries the either were in the area, or could have been in the area at that time. Knowing this, I knew what type of freight equipment that I would have to have. Everything has actually worked out in the end and I have the layout that I originally wanted. I did screw up a few times and had to tear out some hand laid track because I didn't have the actual buildings, or at least the foot print of a building to know that everything would fit into a given space. Live and learn. School of hard knocks.

Having your plan is a great first step. It may take a bit of fine tuning, but I'm sure things will work out in time. Good luck with the layout. I will be waiting to see what you finally come up with.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top