how die hard are you for modeling?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Just like everyone else, I have jabbed my fingers countless times. But the worst thing was my exacto #11 rolling off my work bench and jabbing me right in the thigh. Those damn things are so sharp you never feel it. But there it is swaying back and forth like a cattail in the breeze! I pulled it out with no problem. The next day, there was a BIG bruise where the entry wound was... it hurt then! :eek:

Doing soldering under then layout is never fun either... OUCH!
 
i drilled my finger:o i was drilling a small part and the pin vise
broke through the last bit of plastic and somebody put my finger
behind the hole :(

my buddy has one of those $400.00 hobby table saws
that table saw has a part of his thumb:eek:
 


Back when I was in highschool I bought a Seahawk helicopter and some new exacto blades... My old ones were so dull they couldnt cut skin if you forgot to be careful...

well, I KNEW the new blade was gonna be sharp so I was making sure to have a plastic sprue between my thumb and the part I was cutting... then my mom walked in and started getting on my case about something... I wasnt paying attention, and whoops!! I got myself good! I just grabbed my thumb and was applying pressure while listening to mom... I finally had to say "I dont think this is gonna stop bleeding soon... As I was cleaning it out... I saw some bone down in there!! (still have the scar) AND it was the beginnign of finals week.... YOU try filling in several thousand scan-tron bubbles without a thumb... sucks it does!!!
 
a soldering iron is nothing to me. i am immune to its affects but there is nothing quite like the smell of burning flesh
 
Remember when people used screen wire over wooden formers to shape scenery? I was trying that method on my first layout. I was using a heavy duty stapler to drive 1/2 inch staples into plywood to hold the wire in place. While trying to get one section of wire bent and fastened just so I managed to drive one leg of the staple into the bone in my thumb while the other leg drove tight into the wood frame. It wouldn't come out. I could just barely stretch far enough to reach the pliers, pried the staple out of the wood and finally was able to work it out of the bone with the pliers. Hardly a drop of blood, but surprisingly painful.
 
Remember when people used screen wire over wooden formers to shape scenery? I was trying that method on my first layout. I was using a heavy duty stapler to drive 1/2 inch staples into plywood to hold the wire in place. While trying to get one section of wire bent and fastened just so I managed to drive one leg of the staple into the bone in my thumb while the other leg drove tight into the wood frame. It wouldn't come out. I could just barely stretch far enough to reach the pliers, pried the staple out of the wood and finally was able to work it out of the bone with the pliers. Hardly a drop of blood, but surprisingly painful.

Yep---it is simply amazing how the entire universe collapses into that one area of pain!:eek::eek:

I did something like that once with a nail gun. Nailed my boot into the floor---somehow missing my foot:eek::eek:
 
Wow, no shortage of #11 stories to be had here!
The bro' in law was a head chef for VIA Rail for years and once told me after sharpening all our knives "If your gonna cut yourself it might as well be with a sharp knife"!
He's right.
 
my uncle was working on framing out a wall in his basement when he put the nail through his finger into the board just missing his bone he had to get a hammer to get it off but he had to go to the hospital cause he was not gonna pull the nail on his own
Yep---it is simply amazing how the entire universe collapses into that one area of pain!:eek::eek:

I did something like that once with a nail gun. Nailed my boot into the floor---somehow missing my foot:eek::eek:
 


I took a day away from Church to cut a hole in a wall to add to my mainline into another room. I was using a scrollsaw w/a long blade. I was leaning across a 3ft wide table & the step stool I was standing on flipped sideways & I cut the end off of my finger on my left hand. It was only being held on by a pc. of skin under my fingernail. To this day I have no idea how I did it, since the blade was still in the wall. I wrapped it up w/an old tee shirt & drove myself to the emergency room about 5 miles from the house. The doc sewed it back on. Sometimes I have feeling in it & sometimes I don't. It wasn't painful until the doc stuck novacaine needles in it about 6 times to sew it up. Wife came home & I tried to hide it from her, which didn't work. She raised cane for about an hour. Said, see, if you had'a been where you should this wouldn't have happened. I said, tooo late.
 
I must be lucky :eek: I've only cut myself a few times over the last few years! I did bash my head on a 2x4 while building my current layouts "benchwork"
 
Just like everyone else, I have jabbed my fingers countless times. But the worst thing was my exacto #11 rolling off my work bench and jabbing me right in the thigh. Those damn things are so sharp you never feel it. But there it is swaying back and forth like a cattail in the breeze! I pulled it out with no problem. The next day, there was a BIG bruise where the entry wound was... it hurt then! :eek:

Doing soldering under then layout is never fun either... OUCH!
While at the work bench, never slam your legs shut to catch a falling exacto....:o yup, I know!
 
I jsut rememberd the CHRISTmas that I was 7... My older brother gave me his train set, and he and dad were moving it into my room (big 4x8 that would fold up against the wall) it slipped through my dad's hands and he got a big splinter right through his middle finger... and they spent CHRISTmas night in the ER...
 
i couldnt aggree with you more it is CHRISTmas
I jsut rememberd the CHRISTmas that I was 7... My older brother gave me his train set, and he and dad were moving it into my room (big 4x8 that would fold up against the wall) it slipped through my dad's hands and he got a big splinter right through his middle finger... and they spent CHRISTmas night in the ER...
 
lets not hi-jack this thread... I was lit up by a few members telling me this was not the place to make a religious statement for making a post with that last year... just so you aint surprised when they speak up...
 
A few cuts from blades, few small burns from a soldering gun. Nothing too bad. 1:1 scale steam engines seem to do more damage to me than the model ones.
 


Come on you mean to tell me you never used a screwdriver as a chisel? or a pipe as a hammer...

Yes but not model railroading. Hammer is forbidden on my layout. The only hammer allowed near my hobby is on my work bench and it is very small and light weight it has a lot of dust on it also. My left hand is numb due to a stroke.
it gets cut and burnt on a regular basis. But that's ok I didn't feel a thing usually blood every where is how I know. I got a splash of tenex cement in my eye once.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top