HO Structure Plans

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


72smith

New Member
I enjoy building the structure for my layout from scratch. I can build from wood or styrene. Looking for good websites with plans free or purchased to build HO scale structures. Any help would be helpful.
 
I model the mid 50's. What I do is Google Image a topic like old barns, vintage gas stations, store fronts etc. Consider most old buildings were 9'-10' tall not so large on floor space. Roof designs were usually shed or gable type 3-4/12 pitch. I also look at existing kits that I like & figure the measurements out by counting brick, cement block or how many courses of wood lap siding @ 4-6" exposed etc. Doors are 6'8" counting the trim usually 7'. Windows are usually held at the same height as the doors. Commercial doors can be 10-12' high. Use your imagination its your creation & most of all remember keeping everything to scale. The best thing a SB can hear is "where did you buy that" I didn't...I built it.
 
If you download google sketch up, the free version, you can then search for various buildings and other things, both real and imagined. After learning the basics, you can scale them to whatever scale you wish.

There are tons of people sharing their 3d models on line. You can print out the various views, for basic planning purposes or as guides for scratch building.

I've done drawings of 800 and500 ton pulp storage tanks, for example so I can see how they'll sit on a module I'm thinking of.




Sent from my Vic20 using JavaMoose
 


I haven't taken the time yet but I do want to use Sketch up. It seems to be more & more popular with scratch building.
 
Sawdust
I have never tried to use a phot/pic to build a build but I am will to try. Thanks.

FCL
Never heard of Sketchup. I will look into it. I have a small backgound in CAD. Thanks
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top