HO scale in 3'x8'?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


So I've been set on n scale for a while due to my space limitations. But the more i see ho scale, the more interested i become! A big reason for this change of heart is i found a local guy who sells ho train stuff out of his wife's flower shop... so i have much easier access now to ho as to where n scale i would have to go online. So my question is could i put a single main-line ho scale track in a 3' wide area? The area i have to work with is about 3' x 11'. I'm going to start my table at 3x8 and then add a removable section to go the final 3x3' distance as it goes in front of a closet door. So is that doable? I plan on using flex track, so i know i can free-scale my curves, but would that be too tight to run say a sd70ace?

Thanks in advance!
 
I know some sets come with 18" radius curves, they would still take a wee bit more than 36" to make a turn however.
If you plan on smaller locos and cars I know guys who have 16" radius.
I know for sure some SD40's can handle that 18" curve.
As for the 70ace... that's likely pushing it. I'm sure someone here will be more help.
 
I just measured again and the absolute most i can squeeze out is 42" which is much closer. I enjoy the newer wide cab models, so i don't want to create something that I'm limited to more short-wheel-base engine.

Thanks Rico btw!
 


I have some older Athearn GP35's, GP 38's. They go around the 18 inch curves pretty easily. The smaller box, ore, tankers will go around them better then the long hopper cars or the modern cars.

I had a simple oval laid out on the garage floor for a while. It was made up of 18 inch radius snap track. As long as I used the shorter cars and engines, I had no troubles. I once tried to run my long passenger cars. They did not handle the tight curves very well.

Buzz.
 
I would say no. If you ran little engines and cars (say logging or mining) you could get away with it. Newer mainline stuff--- You're going to be dissatisfied sooner or later. It's better not to fool yourself. Have you considered point to point? Maybe first generation diesels?

Steve
 
Skillman,

I have considered doing a point-to-point around 3 walls of my office. Maybe 1' wide with in-line buildings along the track. Thanks for the help everyone.
 
42 inches gives you a maximum radius of 19". You could probably get an SD70 around throse curves but if the track isn't very good it will derail. It will also be difficult to couple to longer modern cars. Remember minimum radius is the MINIMUM, its is the point where things start to go wrong.

4 axle engines and 50 ft or shorter cars will work better.
 
I run an SD70ACe, +60ft long cars, and several other things that should not be put through 18in curves. I've never really had any problems. They don't look good on the curves but they'll manage as long as your track is flawless. Anything over 60ft is really not going to work, 40ft well cars are the max. It's a headache but it can be done.
 
Personally, I wouldnt do it if I was in your shoes. Nothing is more frustrating in this hobby than trains that are your favorites derail. Sorry, but although Im into HO, if I were faced with those constraints, Id do N scale. Just my 2 cents.
 
So my question is could i put a single main-line ho scale track in a 3' wide area? The area i have to work with is about 3' x 11'. I'm going to start my table at 3x8 and then add a removable section to go the final 3x3' distance as it goes in front of a closet door. So is that doable? I plan on using flex track, so i know i can free-scale my curves, but would that be too tight to run say a sd70ace?
It should be easy enough to test out. Get a standard loop of 18" radius sectional track. Lay it out somewhere and test the locomotive and cars you wish to pull on it. If it goes around an 18" standard loop, then it should work on a 19" radius.
 


In some ways, I'd say Iron Horseman's advice might be best. Years ago, manufacturers wanted everything they made to be able to go around 18" radius curves. The stuff might not 'look pretty' doing it, and use talgo trucks to do it, but yes, even the Riverossi Big Boy would and could go around 18" radius curves. Things started to change when one company started making passenger cars and stating on the box that 24" minimum radius was suggested(with couplers mounted to the car, not the trucks-talgo style).

Having said that, years ago, equipment was generally smaller with the exception of auto boxes and 85' passenger cars.

FWIW, I'm currently planning a large 28'x30' HO layout, set in the 70's to 90's, however my plan is that the newest power I will include will be some GP60's, and some Athearn SD70 Genensis power, as they can go around my 'modest' 26" radius curves with no problems.
 
i have ho scale and 18" curves and my sd50's and sd70mac's dont have any trouble but then again i dont have any gaps in my track either.
 
Thanks everyone for the advice! And Horseman do you want to finance this test session lol? Thanks again everyone the advice is appreciated.
 
Git yourself onto youtube and type in 18" radius, there's a few big diesels running tight curves.
Just might be the answer you're looking for!
 
If I were limited to 3X8 max, I'd do another shelf switcher or a section / module that could later be incorporated into a larger layout when and if I found more space. I don't like 18-in curves, but that's a personal preference.

I'd probably stick to 4-axle engines because they're shorter. The BNSF is using SD40-3s for flat switching in Clyde yard though if you want a proto counterexample.

Probably the best advice is to experiment and see what works for you...
 
Rico i found some interesting things with that search term. In the end though, maybe i should stick to n scale and then maybe i can do a ho scale display shelf or something. Thanks for the help everyone!
 
Horseman do you want to finance this test session lol?
I'm sorry, I thought everyone had piles of old brass 18" radius curves siting around in boxes. :)

Seriously, at almost any model railroad swap meet there should be several people with a box of old track that can be had for $1 or $2. About a year ago my children were each given a large box - as in for free. There were even some turnouts in the boxes. I would send you some but I am guessing shipping would cost more than they are worth.

Personally, I did actually spend about $50 to get a portable test loop of the Bachman 32" curves. I wanted to road test some large passenger cars I was working on.
 
Rico i found some interesting things with that search term. In the end though, maybe i should stick to n scale and then maybe i can do a ho scale display shelf or something. Thanks for the help everyone!
Might be a good plan. If I wanted to do HO in that space, I think I would have to settle for an older era with shorter cars and locos and use 15" radius curves.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top