HO scale EZ Track turnouts power routing?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


malibu43

Active Member
Does anyone know if the basic Bachmann HO Scale EZ Track left and right turnouts are power routing (#44561/44562)?

I've searched to the end of the internet and back and can't find the answer.

Thanks.
 
BUMP - just once in case someone missed it the first time.

The reason I'm asking is that I already have track for an 18" EZ track oval and a 22" oval. If the switches are power routing, I'd like to get a left and right switch to create an 18" radius passing track inside the 22" oval. My layout will be DC, so the power routing would be a neat feature to have here.

If they are not power routing, I'd rather get 2 lefts or 2 rights to create a crossover to connect the inner and outer ovals. Then I might use some insulators to isolate the two ovals.

Thanks!
 
i don't have said turnout and never used any EZ material, so i can't answer. but do you own multimeter (good thing to have regardless)?
if so, throw your turnout and check continuity in each opsition. stock rails obviosly will conduct in either way so check the inner
 


i don't have said turnout and never used any EZ material, so i can't answer. but do you own multimeter (good thing to have regardless)?
if so, throw your turnout and check continuity in each opsition. stock rails obviosly will conduct in either way so check the inner

I don't have any turnouts yet, and would like to know if they're power routing before I buy them since that information will dictate whether I get a left and right or two of the same direction.

Or do I just scrap all my EZ track and go with Unitrack? :D Just kidding. I know the answer to that and I don't want to hear it!!! ;)
 
well since you don't want to hear it ,i say yes, scrap the EZ track (or ebay it) and use conventional flex track on cork or foam roadbed :D
 
well since you don't want to hear it ,i say yes, scrap the EZ track (or ebay it) and use conventional flex track on cork or foam roadbed :D

I am actually considering scrapping the EZ track and going with Kato Unitrack (conventional flex track isn't an option since this will be a temporary, seasonal layout on the floor or table or wherever there's room for it).

But first I need to know if the EZ turnouts are power routing. I may just head to the LHS and ask there.
 
Does anyone know if the basic Bachmann HO Scale EZ Track left and right turnouts are power routing (#44561/44562)?

I've searched to the end of the internet and back and can't find the answer.

Thanks.

Yes, their curved diverging route 18" turnouts are power routing. If you build a siding into one side of an oval of EZ-Track, and use any EZ-Track turnout made, your siding will be powered when you line the route for the siding. This is evinced because if you use one of the terminal rerailers from EZ-Track to provide the sole connection to your power supply, you will find the trains running just fine when they are between the two frogs of those end-of-siding turnouts.
 
Yes, their curved diverging route 18" turnouts are power routing. If you build a siding into one side of an oval of EZ-Track, and use any EZ-Track turnout made, your siding will be powered when you line the route for the siding. This is evinced because if you use one of the terminal rerailers from EZ-Track to provide the sole connection to your power supply, you will find the trains running just fine when they are between the two frogs of those end-of-siding turnouts.

Thanks!

And so just to make sure I understand, if the turnout is not set to route trains into the siding, the siding will not be receiving power, right?
 
You might want to read this thread to answer some of your questions because some things rely on where your therminal tracks are located.

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3762

Actually I saw that post when I was searching before.

My track plan would be similar to the one shown in the 9th post down. I would put the terminal track somewhere on the right so that (I think) power would only be routed to one of the two passing tracks when the switches are in the righ location. The "rest" of the oval on the right side would always have power.
 


Thanks!

And so just to make sure I understand, if the turnout is not set to route trains into the siding, the siding will not be receiving power, right?

If the contacts are working well, it will receive power if just one of the two turnouts serving the siding is lined for that siding. If neither is lined for the siding, it will probably/ought to be dead. The cure to make it live all the time would be to feed each rail separately using thin feeders off a bus.
 
If the contacts are working well, it will receive power if just one of the two turnouts serving the siding is lined for that siding. If neither is lined for the siding, it will probably/ought to be dead. The cure to make it live all the time would be to feed each rail separately using thin feeders off a bus.

Perfect! That's just what I need since I'm using DC. That will allow me to run only one train at a time but still have more than one loco on the layout.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Except for tankist, for pointing out the obvious about my EZ track! :D
 
:confused: Wouldn't it be taking a chance to rely on the switch points as the only conductivity for that passing block? It seems a chance of less than adequate supply. Or do these switches have a separate power route other than through the point rails?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top