ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
HO scale F unit broken steps…anyone have replaced them..I would like to make them myself…
It is a small piece. Any reconstruction on a frame I do is with a plaster mold and the repair made with epoxy. The part would have to be thick to be released from the mold.
Construction from wire would be another way.
The easiest way is to find a shell with a ladder. Cut into the shell to remove it. Notch the host frame and glue it.
Something to look for at the next train show.
Granite Gorge and Northern Again
When I was "doing" HO, I would get some brass wires of different diameters (like K&S stuff). I would pound out the wire to flat on a vise, then shape with a small needle nose pliers, then solder the parts together. I used little spring clips to hold things together for soldering. I attached the steps to boxcars or diesels with CA glue, drilling holes if necessary. A bit of paint and it looked pretty good from a few feet away.
Take a medium, such as Play Do or modeling clay, and make a cast from another F Unit.
Mix up some JB Weld (epoxy/steel) - then using a toothpick - fill the mold.
Make yourself several so that when one brakes - you will have others - You will brake several!
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)