HO C430 available?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Nope...

Just Alco Models (KMT) and Overland in brass and Tiger Valley white metal (like Hobbytown) all are OOP and hard to get...
 


and doubt any one will make them in a nice plastic kit because their weren't many built
True, but most of the ones that were built are active today! Look at how many of those little non-existent Baldwin switchers they make! If someone made them, they would get all the business from that model which would be very profitable. I would get at leasst 2 or 3 myself and I know many others that would gladly snap one up.
 
but sadly most people don't model today they model the over played 1930-1950 era and there were a lot of switchers built in those times and they can make $$, I've asked Stewart a few years ago and that was the answer I got from them
 
I think the C-430 is really a special case. Only 16 were ever built and 10 served one railroad, the NYC. I've been a railfan for over 45 years and never seen one in person. By contrast, the Atlas release of the HH660 makes a lot more sense. 78 were built and many of them lasted into the 80's with shortlines and industrial users. They were used by railroads across the country and I saw at least three of them in person in the late 60's and early 70's. If I was the person in charge of marketing for any of the big plastic locomotive makers, it would be hard enough to make a case for the HH660, let alone a much later production locomotive that only had 16 units produced, was used by only a few railroads, and very few made it past 20 years of service. You have to produce what will sell and, unless you're willing to buy up a couple of thousand units, the C430 is not a good choice.
 
I think the C-430 is really a special case. Only 16 were ever built and 10 served one railroad, the NYC. I've been a railfan for over 45 years and never seen one in person. By contrast, the Atlas release of the HH660 makes a lot more sense. 78 were built and many of them lasted into the 80's with shortlines and industrial users. They were used by railroads across the country and I saw at least three of them in person in the late 60's and early 70's. If I was the person in charge of marketing for any of the big plastic locomotive makers, it would be hard enough to make a case for the HH660, let alone a much later production locomotive that only had 16 units produced, was used by only a few railroads, and very few made it past 20 years of service. You have to produce what will sell and, unless you're willing to buy up a couple of thousand units, the C430 is not a good choice.
Up here in WNY, there are many LAL modelers, and they have four of them! The Susquehanna had some, and Morristown and Erie has and has had some too. Not to mention the stuff left in history.

Also, anyone know where I can get one used? A promising website?
 
Up here in WNY, there are many LAL modelers, and they have four of them! The Susquehanna had some, and Morristown and Erie has and has had some too. Not to mention the stuff left in history.

Also, anyone know where I can get one used? A promising website?

Hey a fellow WNY! Are all 4 units in the LAL scheme or are some still wearing red for the WNYP? I need to get down to Olean to catch a glimpse of these beasts, I've never seen/heard a running Alco and we have a bunch here in NY.
 


Hey a fellow WNY! Are all 4 units in the LAL scheme or are some still wearing red for the WNYP? I need to get down to Olean to catch a glimpse of these beasts, I've never seen/heard a running Alco and we have a bunch here in NY.
One is sitting at the LAL shops undergoing a rebuild right now-the 433 or 3000. It is in Susie Q paint. One is in the black scheme 430 and the other two 432 and 431 are in ME red.
 
its going to take some kit bashing to build one. One way would be to take an atlas C424/5 drive and shell then take a Stewart/browser C630 shell and cut and fit till you get it close. as for the trucks might be SOL on the High ads
 
its going to take some kit bashing to build one. One way would be to take an atlas C424/5 drive and shell then take a Stewart/browser C630 shell and cut and fit till you get it close. as for the trucks might be SOL on the High ads
I'm a total nut when it comes ot model trains, so I'm not even going to attempt such a thing! Thank you though!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top