ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hi all,
I am new to the forum. I working on the Kato Amherst 2005 show track layout;
http://www.katousa.com/track-plans/n-plans.html if you would like to see it, and I am shore I will be asking for your HELP.

I grew up in Berkeley
CA. or as I see it ("Berzerkeley"). I lived about 100' from the railroad tracks that cut across Berkeley. Southern Pacific Freight trains and Santa Fe Super Chief, and for one year (1971) I worked for AmTrack/Southern Pacific as a sleeping car and chair car porter, it was the best JOB of my life

at lest so far. so I am starting out with the Kato 12 car Super Chief N scale.
-D
Welcome to the forum. That looks like a nice little track plan. It gives you a little bit of everything in a small space. I hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

Welcome. Grew up in The City and now in Petaluma.
Welcome. Grew up in The City and now in Petaluma. The National Model Railroad Assoc. is meeting this summer in Sacramento it may be worth your time to stop by there for ideas also.
Hi from San Francisco CA
Thank you For the warm welcome, and yes the track is small for now until I can move to a bigger place, I do like the bit of everything this layout has. as for The National Model Railroad Assoc. show in Sacramento I want to go AND as part of that show; the May issue of Model Railroader magazine has a six page feature by and about Mr Mike Blumensaadt's amazing (to me) layout that will be one of those open to TOURS by attendees of the show. that tour I believe will take place in his home in San Francisco. I cant wait lol.
-D
Hi Kato Fan,
Welcome to the forum, as your finding out it is a great place with lots of great guys and gals to I think?
I took a look at the various layouts listed in the link you provide and wanted to bring up one point, most of them are of the Oval design, necessary to stay within a small area I realize but it doesn't offer the variation that even a small 'L shaped' layout can.
If you have the room, and N scale doesn't require too much space I think you'll be much happier with an L shape track design. The variations of train movement make a big difference in the enjoyment too!
An L shape layout offers more possibilities in operation too as it provides a easy way to have a grade with an second elevation if that's of interest to you? It also breaks up the monotney of always seing the trains making the same turns as it provides both left and right turns as well as seperation of the scenes to some extent over an oval, at least in my opinion.
If you might be interested I'm starting a new website, Foothill Station MRR supplies will posted on the forum and I do have some specials on Kato too to start off my new site.
Hope to see what your doing and talk with you more be sides possibly supplying you with various supplies.
Talk with you again,
David
Hi David,
Thank you for the food for thought, I agree with you 100%. I am in a small studio apt. right now and share the lack of space with my other addictions

30+ Black Bass fishing rods and tackle, 4 R/C boats, 4 R/C cars, 2 R/C airplanes and a mountain bike.

I will check out your website as I collect more pieces.
By the way do you have a { under construction } thread going with lots of pictures.

I would kill to have a 10' x 21' layout.
All the best
-D
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)