ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hello everyone!
I'm Manthan and am 13 years old and i live in Delhi the capital of India.
I got into the hobby when i was saw a vid of it on youtube it was addiction at first sight!
I initially purchased a Hornby eurostar set but that was when i knew practically nothing about model trains.
I am now thinkng of buying model trains from ebay as they are cheap and the shops here sell trains at very expensive rates, the main problem being that no one manufactures model trains in India and so the shiping costs are very high.
In India all the main lines are BG(broad gauge) unlike in most other countries where it is standard gauge.The main form of long distance public transportation in India is Trains and i have travelled a lot of time my first ever memory of it being travelling on the konkan railway when i was 3.
enough about real trains now to go to model trains.
this is my list for this year:
evrything will be on ebay
and everything is Bachmann because it is the only brand that is available on ebay India.
1) Buy E-Z track your first railroad track pack.
2) Sell all Hornby eurostar track.
3) Sell all 18" curves from the E-Z track pack.
4) Buy 22" curves of E-Z track.
5) Buy Bachmann SD40-2 DCC fitted.
6) Buy Bachmann Overland limited train set.
7) Sell Overland limited loco and tender.
8) Sell Hornby DC controller.
9) Buy DCC chip 8 pin (for Eurostar)
10) Buy DCC controller.
I'd save a few steps by NOT buying a train set. If you can only get Bauchman, then stay with their top of the line. Buy Silver Series and Spectrum.
You'll find train sets have the cheapest rolling stock and your going to loose intrest fast if you have to keep puttin back on track.
You seem to be buying what you want and selling what you dont want. Save a step by only buying ONLY what you want. Sometimes you can save alot of money and shipping. If you want 22in. turns. Only buy 22 in curves.
If you want a certain engine car for that set, Only buy it when you see it alone..you waill save alot of shipping hassles.
Have fun and shows us some pictures once you get started!
But there are absolutely no wagons available on ebay India, ones that come online are quickly sold off!
There are just 3 coaches and 2 of them have faces! (thomas and freinds)
the other coach costs Rs2000 which is like half the price of an engine (or equal to a santa Fe F40)
Manthan, many of our overseas members buy from USA online stores that offer shipping to other countries. I don't know how much import tax you have to pay, but you still may be able to save considerably rather than buying from a local shop.
Walthers http://www.walthers.com/ is a major distributor but also sells online to all. I would not pay their prices unless the item is on sale. However, you can look at all their merchandise and get an idea of what you want (They do have some European styled locomotives and rolling stock.) Once you know and have a plan, we can give you a list of some of our favorite online stores.
Manthan - Welcome to the forum. I see your looking at North American prototype equipment. I was wondering with the extensive rail system in your home country, does anyone model Indian railroads? It looks like some interesting equipment and operations but I've never seen models of anything like it offered.
Some people do model Indian trains, and put them for sale but they are very expensive.
What I mean is 1 HO locomotive like the WDM2 costs atleast Rs.38000 which would be around $845.
But there are some exhibitions and clubs which model but dont put them for sale.
That's why I was thinking of locos like the SD40, SD-45 and the Dash-8.
Which with some conversion could (possibly) be converted to WDM2, WDM3, and my personal fav the WDG4.
But I have not seen any models of thoose offered at cheaper than mentioned above.
They ship to India and Bob is really an amazing person to interact with. For quick, safe and cost effective shipping, opt for First Class + Registered Mail (Bob knows the drill to ship to India)